Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
If I remember correctly, my stock 20" SS came in at 27.75. That almost two years ago, memory can fade a bit.

I replaced the grips, pedals, seat post (thomson), brakes (BB&), cog, chain ring, added a wheel set for variety, one for fat tires, (weirwolf) one for skinny (nanoraptor). Of course not all of that immediately. Great bike, climbing traction superb compared to the 26" wheels I have ridden in the previous 23 years of riding.

·
ridin' Mary
359 Posts
My 2007 20" mary SS has had a few upgrades:
CK hubs with Stans Flow rims, Supercomp spokes, Racing Ralph 2.25 tires, tubes
Groovy luv handles handlebars (steel bars only a little heavier than stock Mary bars)
BB5 -> BB7 brake upgrade (gotta have adjustability!)
New grips, chainring, cog, chain
Stock: fork, seatpost, saddle, cranks, stem

I think she's sitting around 24 lbs now if my memory is correct (been a while since I weighed her and I'm not a weight weenie). This is my favorite bike ever! I wish my El Rey could have the traction up a hill that the Mary does. The balance front/rear is perfect for climbing out of the saddle.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I've had my '07 20" SS Mary's down to 24.84lbs. I've had it almost 2 years and its my only off-road bike, so I've been upgrading...

F29 @80mm
Chris King SS hubs w/fun bolts and front Salsa Skewer
Stans Arch rims and Sapim spokes
Ignitor/Crossmark run tubeless with Stan's tape and sealant
Xpedo ti/ti SPD pedals
'08 XT hydraulic brakes/rotors w/Stan's ti rotor bolts
Eriksen 360mm ti layback post in 2nd shim
WTB Rocket V Team saddle
ESI grips
Hope quick-release post clamp
KMC 410 chain (1/8")
Chris King 18t steel cog

I prefer Shimano pedals, so it gets ridden above 25 lbs.

Great bike!

·
Casual Observer
61 Posts
I have only had my 20" Mary SS for about a month. Out of the box she weighed about 27.7 pounds. Changed out the saddle and seatpost right away (I just happened to have a Thomson Masterpiece in the right size laying around), but I also threw on a saddle bag, so it technically got a little heavier.

Tossed the BB5s, and went with some Juicy 7s I already had, which dropped the weight maybe a quarter pound or so.

Put on some ESI grips...don't know if there is any weight difference at all there.

First purchased upgrades were a King 18T cog, and a new crankset (Middleburn w/ White Ind. BB), which dropped the weight a little over a half pound.

Future upgrade will be wheels, which will shave as much as a full pound.

The Mary Bar is still being auditioned. I LOVE the grip angle, but I wish the bar was maybe 1" wider. I am considering a FUbar, or maybe a carbon Salsa Pro Moto with 17 degree sweep.

If I find a good deal on a carbon fork I might try one, but I am very happy with the CroMo fork so far. Also have an old King headset I will probably get around to adding some day.

Oh yeah....BarFlies streamers in a yellow/black/white combo are on their way. :thumbsup:

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Vern Vega said:
The Mary Bar is still being auditioned. I LOVE the grip angle, but I wish the bar was maybe 1" wider. I am considering a FUbar, or maybe a carbon Salsa Pro Moto with 17 degree sweep.
Yeah, trying that Mary Bar can fling one into a crazed search for the perfect handlebar when before it was hardly a thought. In my search, I found that the Salsa carbon bar may not be any wider than the Mary (and I think the fu narrower) b/c I held the Mary up against some other 660mm bars and it was the same length on the outside. Held up against the 670mm Titec h-bar, the Mary is only a hair narrower (and 100g lighter...).

Surly has just put out a wider version of their chromoly "torsion bar" at 666mm and list it as 10-20g lighter than the Mary. Luv handles, Jones bars, alum pro moto @17 degrees and 710mm, etc. I'm at my wit's end! Needing rise, 27" width, and bend, I got a custom ti bar made for me just as you would - I literally asked for a Mary but 1" wider. It cracked 6 months later, and I'm back to Mary.

·
All day long
174 Posts
Vern Vega said:
If I find a good deal on a carbon fork I might try one, but I am very happy with the CroMo fork so far.
I recently installed an On One carbon fork on my '07 Mary and what a difference it made...it handles much quicker than it did with the stock fork. It goes without saying that the front end is also a good deal lighter which makes lofting the front end up and over log crossings that much easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.