Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two rides on dirt so far (Green Mountain), and starting to bond with the bike, but definitely loving the learing curve. Cleaned many of the hills that challenged my first shot at it. Moutain Biking is completely addictive.

But as for traction, I thought one benefit of the 29'r wheel idea was to create much better traction on the climbs? I seem to loose traction on the climbs constantly (and cant give up the energy lost, I need all of it!), unless I take out so much airpressure, but then I bang the rims on the descent. I'm thinking this might be the stock tires causing the slippage, with the added torque from the SS setup.

Any tire suggestions for SS? Should I convert to tubeless? What have others found?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What tires are you running? We used the WTB ExiWolf tires on the first production year and then switched to Kenda Nevegals.

My personal favorites are the Kenda Nevegals and the Kenda Small BLock 8's. Both tires are awesome. The Nevegals have a little more bite than the Small Block 8.

You are correct, one of the great benefits of a 29er is the fact that you have way more traction than a 26" wheel. This generally translates into much better climbing power. However, some hills with loose soil aren't going to yield great traction no matter what tire or wheel size you run. More than likely, if you rode the same climbs on a SS bike with a 26" wheel, you're going to find that you'd have even less traction!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have an 07' Mary SS. It came stock with the Exiwolf. I found it to be pretty good for a rear tire concerning traction. If this is your first time on a SS, if you stand when you climb you may be putting too much weight forward, and therefore spinning out. Try keeping your weight farther back when climbing. Just a suggestion to consider.

·
All day long
174 Posts
Panaracer Rampage front and WTB Nanoraptor out back. After nearly a year and a half this combo has performed well on nearly every trail surface I've put them on with the exception of mud (which quickly packs up the Nano and renders it a slick). They even work very well in snow.

bhc is correct that position while climbing is very important especially on a SS.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have been pleasantly surprised by the traction that the Nanoraptor has. I have used it with the Weirwolf frequently. The Weirwolf makes it cushy, and the Nano rolls well. But your terrain will make a big determination in what works for you. I ride in western AZ, southern NV.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have reversed the tread direction for the back tire. i will give that a shot, and also work on the climbing position, which will be much more difficult...

once green mountian dries out...

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
I second the rampages. My Mary came with the nevegals which are great but they just don't last very long so I switch to an Exiwolf that was ok and then to the rampages which I am loving. Same great traction as the nevegals but they last a whole lot longer. I would also really have to agree with the guys on position it plays a huge part when you are SSing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.