Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody has made their Mary SS a belt drive? Any thoughts? Any pictures?

·
EXORCIZE
2,239 Posts
Is retrofitting possible? I thought that because the belt cannot be undone (broken), that the bike's rear triangle had to be built with a way to get the belt inside it (a door/portal of some sort).

I thought I once read they had figured out a way to break the belt, then reattach it, so that this frame mod wouldn't be necessary, thereby making retrofitting possible. Not sure though. If they haven't yet, it can only be a matter of time before they figure it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I didn't think about that. I do know that QBP sells belt kits, so they must break and re -attach somehow. I'll have to take a look at them again.

·
EXORCIZE
2,239 Posts
I believe the QBP kit includes a chainstay break/keylock near the dropout (or its incorporated into the dropout itself), currently in aluminum, but steel and titanium are supposed to be available very soon. The non-aluminum versions should allow the custom builders (many who are currently inundated with 29er single speed orders in steel or ti anyhow) to start employing this kit very soon. Plus, builders (other than Spot) can start designing off-the-shelf frames with these special chainstays standard so that potential customers can have more options than Spot or cu$tom.

One cool thing is that if you do get a frame with the chainstay keylock and set it up a belt drive, you have the no-risk option of going back to a traditional set up in case you end up not liking it. Not only a nice piece-of-mind option, but should encourage more people to give it a try, resulting in lots of user experiences before the end of the year.

·
nothing relevant to say
1,370 Posts
TO confirm.
The CDS, Carbon Drive System requires a modified rear triangle. Be it a 3pc driveside dropout (as provided by CDS), a linkage that can be unbolted, or a small S&S coupler. An elevated chainstay could probably work, too, mated with an EBB.
I saw a Moots YBB equipped with a CDS and Rohloff. The Belt was routed through the YBB junction, so the chainstays and ropout area was very clean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bit the bullet

I am in the middle of a retro-fit project for my Mary SS that I run with a Rohloff Speedhub.
I'm waiting on my final part for the transformation to the belt drive system (rohloff specific beltdrive cog). I'm attaching pictures of the frame work. I had an S&S coupler installed on the rear triangle! So far so good. I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be able to dial in the "chain" line to the tolerances the belt drive system requires.
P1050407_Lo.JPG
P1050408_Lo.JPG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Beautiful ! Are those brazed fittings?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brazed fittings

1stiski said:
Beautiful ! Are those brazed fittings?
Yes! they are brazed fittings. It's called an S&S coupler. I had Victor at Concept Technology do the work. Victor is a one man frame builder in San Diego. I am very happy with the work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Belt Drive Conversion with Rohloff

Ixnay said:
Just curious if anybody has made their Mary SS a belt drive? Any thoughts? Any pictures?
It wasn't pretty but I got it done!
I'm trying to put up some pictures now. Wait for it...

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks nice ! Im sure its very quiet !:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Belt drive sound

I'm glad you like it. I love it. It has been a fun project. When I first put it on it was dead quiet. It started to have a very small squeak/creak sound in the belt at the front "chain ring" I didn't know if that was normal and I got all worried about if I didn't have the alignment correct. I've put about 100 miles on it on the road and the sound is almost completely gone. I'm not sure though if I'll still need to shim out the front chain ring or if it was a "break-in" period. I'm going to call Gates about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
strike that from the record

Can you believe it, The creak/squeak wasn't from the belt at all. It was coming from my pedal/shoe interface and just happened to show up right after I installed the belt system. I have yet to put any hard XC miles on it but so far, so good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts