Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Wrench-O-Phile
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... this style bar (I just Googled the image online):

I have read here and there on MTBR that some have broken this bar.

My question to those of you who have, how did you break it?

Basically, for those who have broken the bar do you feel it just the design that failed you or that you pushed the bar more than what it was designed to do?

I'd like to know if you were running rigid forks, riding style, terrain, rider weight.

I have recently been trying this bar and really dig the position, but I am leery of it snapping off. Just trying to figure out what pattern (if any) is leading to these bars failing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I use two of those bars. I have not broken one but will fill in on this discussion.

I am on the clydesdale side of life and mash hard plus I ride rigid.

In the earlier discussion all the broken bars were broken at the stem/bar interface. That has nothing to do with the way these bars are styled. Almost all broken bars that I have seen are broken at this point. And thats quite logical because the applied forces are the strongest on that interface and not in the middle of a bend.

I have never seen one that is broken on the bends in the tubing and as long as I do not see a lot of mary bars that are broken on the bends there is no reason to think that these bars ar structurally weaker than other bars. And by a lot I mean a percentage that is a lot higher than other brands of broken bars. (IMHO).

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
As far as I can tell its only a handful of people who've broken the Mary-style bars.

Mine broke probably from a bad stem/bar interface. It flexed alot. I was used to a 31.8 bar and noticed the flex immediately. It was used with a Sette stem. The stem or bar was probably out of round. I only used it for about 6 month and the aluminum snapped without any warning.

I'm a big guy too, 225 pounds with a pack on a rigid Monocog.

I had a meltdown thread a few months back titled; Mary almost sent me to the ER!

Now I'm using a Salsa MotoAce with no problems and I'm going to get a Jones J-bar when I can get the cash.

They make a chromoly Mary now. For my commuter I use a steel 25.4 Nashbar moustache handlebar with similar bends and it doesn't nearly flex as much as the Mary.

Lot of people use the Mary bar and rave about it, I like the looks, but thin aluminum bars on an SS freak me out.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
I always noticed my Space bar flexing when I was mashing hard and pulling on it. I never rode it offroad, only in the city, doing little drops off 4-8" curbs was the worst the bar ever saw. I don't keep a lot of weight on the bars when I ride as I try to keep most of my weight on the saddle. When it snapped on me I had just come off a curb of 4" or so and when it landed, the left side gave way close to the stem and I tumbled to the ground as I lost the support for my upper body. It just kinda broke, it was not overtightened and the stem/bar interface looked completely normal. I was using a Origin-8 stem as well.

I always thought the backsweep was a tad too much for me. I'd suggest going with the Misfit Fubars, Groovy Luv Handle, or the Jitensha Nitto bar.

·
Registered
416 Posts
And again both broke at the stem/bar interface.

A straight bar from the same material and the same length (for leverage) would have probably broken at the same spot.

oh and I always deburr the inside of a stem slightly with some ligt sandpaper when I feel shapr edges and spots. That way you will not create some spots where there is more pressure.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
DiDaDunlop said:
It didn't break even with the stem clamp. It was actually about 5mm away from the clamp where it broke, in a very uneven fashion. The clamp did not damage the bar in any way.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
DiDaDunlop said:

A straight bar from the same material and the same length (for leverage) would have probably broken at the same spot.
The Mary still has a pretty significant bend coming right out of the stem; much different than a straight or even a riser bar

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
boomn said:
The Mary still has a pretty significant bend coming right out of the stem; much different than a straight or even a riser bar

I believe that is part of the problem. If the bend could be moved outward 10mm per side I think it would help.

·
Wrench-O-Phile
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. Good to get input from those who have had one fail and those who haven't.

DiDaDunlop said:
In the earlier discussion all the broken bars were broken at the stem/bar interface. That has nothing to do with the way these bars are styled. Almost all broken bars that I have seen are broken at this point. And thats quite logical because the applied forces are the strongest on that interface and not in the middle of a bend.
My guess is that the heavy sweep on these bars leads to the "flex" we all feel. That probably also adds a lot of torsional (twisting) load that a flat or standard riser doesn't have to deal with. When the Mary/ Space hits a bump, it's being forced down and twisted in opposing directions all at once.

johnnyb said:
...and I'm going to get a Jones J-bar when I can get the cash.
Have you seen these Titec H-Bars:

Maybe a bit cheaper and a very similar style. But being aluminum, will it have the same fatigue problems as the Space and Mary bars seem to have? Doesn't have such radical bends at the bar, so that should help.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Elvota said:
Have you seen these Titec H-Bars:

Maybe a bit cheaper and a very similar style. But being aluminum, will it have the same fatigue problems as the Space and Mary bars seem to have? Doesn't have such radical bends at the bar, so that should help.
I think johhny is talking about the newer Titec version called the J-bar instead of the H-bar, but is in fact designed to match the original Jeff Jones H-bar since the first Titec H-bar has a 1.5" rise for some reason.

Clear as mud, right?

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
boomn said:
I think johhny is talking about the newer Titec version called the J-bar instead of the H-bar, but is in fact designed to match the original Jeff Jones H-bar since the first Titec H-bar has a 1.5" rise for some reason.

Clear as mud, right?
Ya Boomn, got that Titec H-bar on my Monocog SS and want to get the Titec J-bar on my '69er SS. $80 bucks is a stretch to spend on me right now, if you know what I mean :nono:
Also the j-bar is a 31.8 at the stem. I love the H-bar and it isn't flexy.

Diadunlop: I did sand to deburr the edges on my stem too, the break occurred a few mms past the interface of the stem and bar.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
after breaking a space bar in the same place as most othere here i finally decided to go with the misfit fubar. it has similar bends, but the material is 3mm thick. it feels very strong. i don't notice any flex at all compared to the space bar.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the Marys on my rigid GF Rig going on two years now and no problems. I am 160lbs. and ride rooty, rocky.

Attachments

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
I have a Mary and a Space Bar on my 29ers which also are fully rigid. I've fluctuated between 170-200# during the last 3 seasons and they are showing no signs of failure or bending. They've been crashed a few times but have held up fine. They're not uber-light which should help with their reliability. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have been using the titec hbar for awhile, it is really stiff and strong. I like it better than the ti version, which felt flexy to me. I am around 195 with pack and use it for trail riding and commuting.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
Anyone know what Mary bars weigh?

FU bar: 375gm
titec jones: 390gm

I'm 240# and I don't notice any flex in either. Nobody has reported a failure yet. The Marys scare me, so do the CF bars. Not for us big boys, esp if you're as ugly as I am. Last thing I need is a uglier face.

·
Oldie
229 Posts
I'm 225# with gear and have been waiting for a cro-mo Mary bar after reading a few different threads on breakage. I'm starting to lean towards the Titec H-bar but the price is killing me. Where can I find these limited edition cro-mo Mary bars? I found them at On-One's site but I would think shipping would be as much as the bar, is anyone state side selling them?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
zuk88 said:
I found them at On-One's site but I would think shipping would be as much as the bar, is anyone state side selling them?
they don't have a us distributer as of now. i think their shipping prices are very reasonable. you can actually calcualte shipping prior to checkout if i remember correctly.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts