Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is directed at brant but anyone feel free to chime in. I am trying to dial the setup on my ss commuter (80's schwinn world traveller) I have the Mungo on it, with a 90 mm stem, 30 deg rise. Right now the center of the bar is about level with the seat. the current setup feels a bit long, and low. Any suggestions? This is a vague question but the setup just feels off.

I am thinking about switching out the mungo for my mary bar to see if that feels better. Will it work to put the Mary bar on a road stem? Can I just shim it? Hope the pics help! Thanks in advance!

Please anyone chime in!

That is not me behind the bike so no short jokes! (my daughter)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
It looks like you are using an adjustable reach/rise stem. Have you tried running it higher or is it as high as it goes already?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
A Mary bar would probably solve your problems.

I think that your daughter is a lil' cutie.. :)

R.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stem adjustment

Shiggy,
I could run the stem a bit higher (I think it can raise up 10 deg more), but I am afraid it will make the steering really twitchy, as it is only a 90 mm stem and raised to 30 deg right now. I can get a longer brake cable and housing and try it.

Can you shim a 25.4 clamp mountain bar to use it on a 26.0 clamp road stem? I love the mary bar on my mtn ss, and it seems like it would alleviate the fit problems I am having. If it works well, I will probably just order a new mary bar for my commuter.

Thanks rainman, she is a joy, and way too cute for her dad's good! Thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Must agree

very cute kid....and I see that longing look in her eye, it looks like she too will love life on two wheels.

As for the bars...I dont know....I have a set of Mary bars on order.

sorry to be not helpful at all.

ken

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
1 cog frog said:
Shiggy,
I could run the stem a bit higher (I think it can raise up 10 deg more), but I am afraid it will make the steering really twitchy, as it is only a 90 mm stem and raised to 30 deg right now. I can get a longer brake cable and housing and try it.

Can you shim a 25.4 clamp mountain bar to use it on a 26.0 clamp road stem? I love the mary bar on my mtn ss, and it seems like it would alleviate the fit problems I am having. If it works well, I will probably just order a new mary bar for my commuter.

Thanks rainman, she is a joy, and way too cute for her dad's good! Thanks for the feedback guys!
It does not matter how your hands get to where you need them. Whether you do it by raising the stem you have or with a Mary bar (which may need a taller stem, too) the result will be the same.

Easy to try adjusting the stem you have, even if the housing leagth is not ideal.

Yes, you can shim the bar.

·
Registered
253 Posts
1 cog frog said:
I ran a Mungo bar with a 60mm x 15 degree stem on a cross bike earlier this year and it didn't seem terribly twitchy. That said, if I had kept that bike, I would have used a longer stem.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Another option..

is using a threaded to threadless converter then using different stem combos..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts