Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some opinions on the Mary bars. Specifically, how are they for steep climbing and technical rock and root riding? I'm intrigued by the unique bend, but the 300 gram weight (is that what they really weigh?) is throwing me off. I'm trying to decide between a fairly conventional riser bar with 8 degrees of sweep or going for the more radical bend of the Mary. The Mary would weigh about 1/4 pound more and I must confess to being somewhat of a weight weenie. On the other hand, comfort and power generation usually trump weight if the unique bend really makes that big of a difference. The bars will go on a SS Rig. Thanks for the insight.

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
I put a mary on my pug. I've been on one ride and am not sure what to think of it. I hated in the first ten minutes, but at the end of the ride my hands felt so much better. It feels a little funny at first, the handling to me felt quicker. I need to ride it a bit more before I decide completely, but I assume the more I use it the more I will like it.

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
I've had a Mary for a couple of months and my first impression was that it would freak out my wrists. Climbing with it is more pleasure than pain. I feel like I'm using more muscle groups (pecs) when I pull up on the bar for climbing. For twisty singletrack and flatout hauling azz on the trail, maybe a straight or riser bar wins. The Mary forces my elbows in and when I'm trying to put the power down it affects my breathing while a flat/riser bar can let my elbows extend out and opens up the breathing. My two cents, but I still have them on my SS and will keep them there for all the good reasons.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I think I have slightly less power for SS climbing (out of the saddle) than on a flat bar with bar ends, but a LOT more than a flat bar without them. And it's way more comfortable, with no need to constantly shift hand positions in rolling terrain. Also it's lighter than most bar+end setups anyway. I don't think the hand position is perfect (i would prefer a few degrees more sweep, I think) but it's pretty good. I have Mary on both my SS and my full boinger.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Must be my anatomy, but I had to take Mary off after only a mile and a half ride. It felt like my wrists were getting bent to the outside. Totally uncomfortable. I'm happy with my Salsa Pro Moto 11 degree bend w/ Cane Creek Ergo bar ends. Works great for me.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Thor29 said:
Must be my anatomy, but I had to take Mary off after only a mile and a half ride. It felt like my wrists were getting bent to the outside. Totally uncomfortable. I'm happy with my Salsa Pro Moto 11 degree bend w/ Cane Creek Ergo bar ends. Works great for me.
Another victim of impatience and improper positioning.

More Marys for me!

:thumbsup:

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
I prefer the H-Bars to the Mary bars. I felt like the Mary was too narrow by comparison, though it is just barely so according to the specs. Right now I've got a Salsa 11 degree bar on my geared bike. I'm taking it out tomorrow for the maiden voyage with this setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just do it. They are amazing. I have them on my Monkey and I will never ride anything else. And 1/4 pound? Come one! Are you racing for serious money? If you are don't ride them, if not, have another PBR and throw on the Mary's. You will love them.

·
wait a minute....
216 Posts
I have them on three bikes,haro mary, kelly deluxe,and a five spot.I have some eastons and azonic and titec bars in the parts bin.one of my friends will need them someday

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have Mary bars on two bikes; my cargo bike and my XXIX+G.

I liked them on my cargo bike as soon as I rode them, but I almost alway ride that bike seated. This means my arms are almost always at the same angle to the bars.

On my XXIX+G I still have some adjustments to work out and have only put about 50 miles on the bike/bars all told. Because of this I haven't totally decided whether I like the Marys or not but I can offer a couple observations.

When seated, the bars feel very natural as I have them setup now. Because of the rather extreme angle compared to a typical riser or flat mtb bar, they feel rather different when riding out of the saddle. Maybe I'm just not used to them yet, but when I'm out of the saddle climbing a hill or riding rough stuff, I don't feel like I have the same leverage and control as with the ~5 deg riser bar I'm more used to. So, a definite not-sure-yet on the mtb.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Had 'em on my 26", and once I flipped them, it was revelatory. I won't own a bike without them.

·