Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Followup to my request for input from long term users. Thanks all for the info, very useful. I have lots of pictures of the Mary bar on bikes but none with the rider on board. Anybody got a pic of a bike equipped with the Mary bar and showing a rider on board? Would be a help to see how the hands and arms end up positioned. I don't have alot of $$$ to spend on quality parts (kids, car, house, etc) so I like to do the research before i buy.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Action shot on the Leviathan:

Group shot on the Vulture:

Couple of notes:
1. I run my Mary bars upside down, resulting in drop rather than rise. On a 29"er this makes more sense, because the top of the headtube is quite a bit higher.
2. The bar is on the high side in the Vulture pic. I've lowered it since that photo was taken.

Hope those help.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
hu-man said:
Followup to my request for input from long term users. Thanks all for the info, very useful. I have lots of pictures of the Mary bar on bikes but none with the rider on board. Anybody got a pic of a bike equipped with the Mary bar and showing a rider on board? Would be a help to see how the hands and arms end up positioned. I don't have alot of $$$ to spend on quality parts (kids, car, house, etc) so I like to do the research before i buy.
One of my buddy Larry, by my buddy Gary:

A little hard to tell anything about positioning (this one's better), but I think it's a cool shot :thumbsup: BTW, there's no ramp on the other side of the log.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
are they really all that?

edit -- also I notice that almost everyone is running brake levers that allow for 2 or 3 finger braking. Can you set them up for 1-finger braking or does the bend make that difficult?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Agreed

None said:
Check the last two pics, I see one finger braking.

And yes they are incredibly more comfortable for all but a few.
I have some bars similar to the Marys, and I put some Mary bars on my brother's bike. Both of us can use one finger braking (though he prefers 2 regardless of bars). The large amount of sweep these types of bars have are "all that". A few people don't like them, many more think they won't, but most seem to appreciate it after they try it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have Mary's on all 3 of my SS's and yes the are "all that", well I say any bar with a nice back sweep ala jones, black sheep, on one, misfit, etc. etc. The leverage of the backsweep and the hand positions are so nice especially on a singlespeed. JC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.