Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, Im looking at dumping my 100mm fox and going to either a Manitou Marvel Pro, Manitou Minute Pro or Rockshox Reba, all of which would be 120mm. My concerns are this:

I ride very aggressive "XC" (I am not an XC racer but not quite all mtn either, right in the middle), rocky and rooty single track that gets hairy every now and then, this is my main reason for wanting the Minute but the Pro version seems to come stock with a med spring and I weigh 180-185. I'm not into tinkering and changing out springs.

The Marvel weight is very attractive but it seems like it may be too XC for me the way it is setup, Im ditching my fox float as I want something a bit more active on the trail, once again the Minute coil assist seems like a nice feature as long as it can support my weight.

The Reba confuses me as it is very well priced and I don't want something that I will regret buying in 6 months to save $200 as this purchase will be on my bike for quite a while. Also it is a strait air fork so I dont want it to be too stiff on the small stuff. I had a SID RCT3 29er fork before the fox and hear the Reba/SID and very similar. I liked the SID but with the proper sag setup I would eat up the travel in no time when things got really technical.

Any input would be great, I will check back in to answer any follow up questions you may have. I am riding a 4" full suspension 650b bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ditched my Fox F100 for a Minute pro. It was the right decision! The minute pro is more responsive to adjustments, whether it's air rebound or compression.

My two cents worth!

·
Boom bap ambassador
740 Posts
I had a Minute 120 with both TPC and ABS damper (swapped out TPC for ABS) and it was a very solid fork. Definitely able to handle 'in-between' duties.

The 'had' part is simple - no 150/160mm options with straight steerer.

Manitou forks are pretty easy to maintain as well as far as doing oil changes, changing seals, etc.

I ditched my Fox F100 for a Minute pro. It was the right decision! The minute pro is more responsive to adjustments, whether it's air rebound or compression.

My two cents worth!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I have 2 100mm travel Minute Pros on my bikes, one is a 2012 and the other a 2013. The 2012 which I ordered from CRC came with a medium spring and the 2013 ordered from PricePoint came with a firm spring. I also have a 2010 Minute MRD but haven't opened it up to see which spring is in it, feels like a medium or soft but it's hard to tell. I've done DH days at the bike park with the Minute Pros and they handled it just fine, but the one with the firm spring was definitely the better choice for hard riding.

As for the Marvel vs. the Minute, I'd say the main difference is in the compression damper, the Marvel has the XC shim stack which gives a firmer ride with a much stronger platform when locked out. But 20 minutes with a couple wrenches & shims and you can re-tune the compression damper to the Minute's plusher trail setup (Manitou has a tuning manual for this).

In their stock setups, I found that the Marvel is fairly similar to the Minute in the first 3-4 clicks from full open on the compression damper, it doesn't quite have the super smooth coil feel of the Minute on the first inch or so of travel but go deeper into the travel and I don't know if I could tell them apart if the decals were taped over. Either fork feels a hell of a lot better than a Fox or RS Reba, and the performance is far better as well. The Manitous are plusher, keep the tires glued to the trail far better, and require less maintenance.

·
Boom bap ambassador
740 Posts
I had the standard spring in my Minute. I'm 182 lbs and around 188-190 lbs geared up, with water, etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts