Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
so long as the rotors are not 160s (up front anywa), they would make sweet brakes. I ran them on a bike in the past and really like them. Granted, it was a 23 lb FS race bike but I liked them and with bigger rotors would not hesitate to use them on a bigger bike.

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
I was fortunate to demo these brakes on a friend's 5" trailbike recently and was very impressed - I have Hayes hydros and definitely preferred these for both modulation and power. If your bike is more trailbike/light FR (i.e. 32-35#) then a 180F/160R would be great... keep in mind I am a ham-fisted non-technical kind of guy... I am sure that more experienced guys in this forum can give you a better review. :p

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Martas are great brakes, but they are intended for XC applications. Even with the 180mm rotor they are not going to be quite as powerful as the Louises. This may be okay with you if you don't plan on workin your bike over too hard on long downhills. For general trail purposes they will be excellent. If you are building your bike up fairly burly and on the heavier side you would probably be happier with the Louises. Also if you are a bigger guy, I would also lean towards the Louises. I am currently running the 06 Louise FRs 180/180 and they are stellar. Maguras are where its at!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I agree with Noah. I am running Marta SL 180/160 on my Flux and Louise FR 190/180 on the RFX. The difference in braking power is very noticeable. The Louise rotors are at least twice as wide as the Marta's and have larger heat capacity (they don't warm up as quickly) and dissipate heat much more handily. If you don't ride gravity fed trails then it doesn't matter and you can shave some grams, if you are planning on hitting any sustained downhill trails your Martas will fade.

Cheers!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FoShizzle said:
fortunately (for me), there are no rules in bike builds.
Who needs brakes anyway. I'm on v-brakes still and don't have any problem going fast downhill. The V's heat up and fade terribly on most of the descents, but that just forces me to ride faster towards the bottom!! Seriously though, I've always been more of a finesse downhiller as opposed to a bomb and gouge style technique...but what I'm not factoring in is the fact that I'll be able to maintain alot more speed with the RFX than my current bike.

I'm just a little worried the Marta SL's will be too lightweight for this bike, but my fear of building up a bike that's too heavy to climb our 2500' climbs around here is scaring me as well. I'm 160 pounds though, so that may help...

·
Registered
517 Posts
why not buy a better brake?

I suggest that you get Formula K24's (180/160). The weight is similar to a Marta (+30grams), but the design (22mm piston and adjustable pad contact that works) and the braking power are better.

Cheers,

Kane

Pothole said:
Who needs brakes anyway. I'm on v-brakes still and don't have any problem going fast downhill. The V's heat up and fade terribly on most of the descents, but that just forces me to ride faster towards the bottom!! Seriously though, I've always been more of a finesse downhiller as opposed to a bomb and gouge style technique...but what I'm not factoring in is the fact that I'll be able to maintain alot more speed with the RFX than my current bike.

I'm just a little worried the Marta SL's will be too lightweight for this bike, but my fear of building up a bike that's too heavy to climb our 2500' climbs around here is scaring me as well. I'm 160 pounds though, so that may help...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
not too bad

Pothole said:
So am I the only one that's going to be running Marta SL's on my RFX?
Pothole.....i ran a set of SL's on my RFX last summer and while as others have mentioned there are more powerful options out there (and for less dough), but in my experiences with them which included numerous un-interupted 8mile DH runs i never experienced brake fade once or the inability to effectively control my rig. I say go for it....more so if you already have them in hand.

Good luck, Chad

Attachments

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Pothole said:

They do have 200mm rotors for Martas and all, which will give you good power and good modulation, however, the issue at hand is that you'll cook the brakes on long downhills. It doesn't take much to make Martas fade, and if you'll glaze the rotors and pads, it will take a lot of work to get power back to these brakes.

_MK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.