Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there run Marta SLs in endless slop, rain, muck and mud? I have gathered here that the pads wear quickly and there are no aftermarket alternatives. What about squeal? I hate noisy brakes. I have been very satisfied with my Avid mechs on both counts, and the Juicy's have been pretty good after some tinkering in terms of quieting them in the slop, but I am thinking of putting my GF's bike on a diet and was toying with the idea of the Martas. The other issue is how much lever adjustment is there? Enough to accomodate small hands?

Thanks gentle brake folk.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
tscheezy said:
Anyone out there run Marta SLs in endless slop, rain, muck and mud? I have gathered here that the pads wear quickly and there are no aftermarket alternatives. What about squeal? I hate noisy brakes. I have been very satisfied with my Avid mechs on both counts, and the Juicy's have been pretty good after some tinkering in terms of quieting them in the slop, but I am thinking of putting my GF's bike on a diet and was toying with the idea of the Martas. The other issue is how much lever adjustment is there? Enough to accomodate small hands?

I've got almost 2 months on my Marta SLs. The majority of this racing/riding/training has been in moderately dry conditions. However, as of a couple weeks ago, it has been getting much wetter and muddier. So far, the Marta SLs are still on their stock pads and they are showing minimal wear. Squealing has also been very, very minimal...much less than my previous Mono Minis.

But, after reading some of the pad-wear issues (mostly Spookykinkajoo's comments) and knowing that I'll be racing them at the TransRockies next week, plus fall/winter is coming so pad-wear will likely increase as conditions deteriorate, I bought a few sets of the Endurance pads (and Performance pads).

The Endurance pads, like their name indicates, are said to last longer than the stock Performance pads. There is also said to be a slight loss in power. This is according to what I was told by Jeff at Magura.

As for the aftermarket alternative, there are a couple. But, when using anything aftermarket and non-Magura, you'll have problems with warranty...should you need it.

I've got small hands and find the Martas to be perfect.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good start. Anybody out there in the PNW, BC, Jolly ol England, or Atlantis running Marta SLs? We ride all winter and my bike does not dry out for months at a time. I'm not afraid of bleeding (though the back and forth purging over and over sounds tiresome) though having to shim gives me the willies. I may just get some more Juicys. Those things flat out rock (if a bit porky).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Tcheezy, I think I read Avid was supposed to come up with a light...

version for the Juicy. May be you should wait a bit. I hate shims also and I'm so happy with the Juicy's now I could never go back to shims...

Do your Juicy squeal when wet? If so, what did you do about it. Mine are terrible until the rotor and/or pads dry up.

Thanks.

tscheezy said:
That's a good start. Anybody out there in the PNW, BC, Jolly ol England, or Atlantis running Marta SLs? We ride all winter and my bike does not dry out for months at a time. I'm not afraid of bleeding (though the back and forth purging over and over sounds tiresome) though having to shim gives me the willies. I may just get some more Juicys. Those things flat out rock (if a bit porky).

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
226 Posts
tscheezy said:
I have ridden Martas (not SL) for 2 years here in the PNW. No big issues with wear. I do keep a spare set of pads on hand though. After 1 winter, 3-4 months, of riding every Saturday I used up the front and about half the rear. Seems OK given the conditions. Lots of wet with sand and mud.

David

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Banzai- Get some EBC Gold pads, or the newest Avid B4's. Be scrupulous about cleaning glaze off the pads. Try some round rotors if the pads don't fix it. Squeal is a personal demon you need to exorcize. My EBC gold pads ran silent all (wet) fall and early winter, but after using them for a month in Utah I returned to Alaska only to find they were now noisy. There is hardly any rhyme or reason to noise, or lack there of, you just have to play with rotor and pad combos until you find one that works. Some never do. Start with the Gold pads.

David-thanks the feedback. I may just wait to see what Avid comes up with. The Juicy's only took about 3 years to hit the market after their announcement. I'm a patient man.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I ate 'em like candy at $30 a wheel....

tscheezy said:

However, unlike many on here, I love my sintered Hayes' brakes. I think I was replacing my rear pads every 2 months and my front pads every 3 months or so in the winter. I tried the endurance pads and didn't find they made much of a difference. The organic blend is soft. That is why the Marta has such awesome modulation.

Jaybo

PS get her some Juicy's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts