Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
annoyingly cautious
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Marta's worked flawlessly for a month, no hint of change in braking power for over 100 miles. Suddenly--between the time I tested the brakes in front of the house and 20 minutes later at the trailhead--the front lever moved to the handlebar with no useful travel of the pads. Careful inspection showed no obvious fluid leak or loose fittings. No endo's, upside-down storage or collisions have happened. I bled the brake and it seems okay, but now I'm nervous it could happen when I really need the brake; there are some pretty long, steep trails around my neighborhood. Suggestions, comments... Please!
Thanks in advance

Dan C
Reno, NV

·
Registered
29 Posts
drc said:
My Marta's worked flawlessly for a month, no hint of change in braking power for over 100 miles. Suddenly--between the time I tested the brakes in front of the house and 20 minutes later at the trailhead--the front lever moved to the handlebar with no useful travel of the pads. Careful inspection showed no obvious fluid leak or loose fittings. No endo's, upside-down storage or collisions have happened. I bled the brake and it seems okay, but now I'm nervous it could happen when I really need the brake; there are some pretty long, steep trails around my neighborhood. Suggestions, comments... Please!
Thanks in advance

Dan C
Reno, NV
If you want to make sure they don't leak, use a zip tie strapped around the lever wich pulls it VERY hard, if it has loosened after a night or so it's sure to be leakage. (Leave a steel bowl under the brake so you won't mess up your floor btw)

Since you say you've only had it a month, that's easily warranty work and if something broke you'd get a new one.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
After about 3 months and 500mi, my rear marta also seemed to give up the ghost. Lever goes right to the bar. This seemed to happen overnight(well, from one ride to the next). Not due to crash, upside down, mistreatment, etc. Kinda disappointed. No signs of leakage either. Front is just fine. I adjusted the travel screw on the lever during the next ride to its max setting, but the lever is still right next to the bar at contact. Sucks, as i treat my equipment with such care, and buying the most expensive disc brake, i expected a little more. I'll go bleed them and see what's up, but...
The Hope minis on the other bike are working well, but have their own squealing/howling problem in the rear after some heat up.

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
yeah that happenned to me also.
I think when I shortened the hose a bubble was introduced and it took a while to manifest itself.
After bleeding no further problems they have been flawless.

·
Whatever
585 Posts
Store upside down or not?

I've heard people tell me to store Marta's right side up, and others say it doesn't matter. What does Magura say?

I have a Maverick fork so I'd like to store upside down if possible.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
MINImtnbiker said:
I've heard people tell me to store Marta's right side up, and others say it doesn't matter. What does Magura say?

I have a Maverick fork so I'd like to store upside down if possible.
If bleed correctly, you can store it any way you like:) If bled wrong... you may a problem(but this will happen with any hydro brake...).

·
Registered
313 Posts
bike_freak said:
If bleed correctly, you can store it any way you like:) If bled wrong... you may a problem(but this will happen with any hydro brake...).
As the pads wear out oil shifts from the reservoir to the lines and piston. That can introduce air into the master cylinder reservoir. Turn it upsidedown and volia...air in the lines.

Officially, magura writes in the manual to use an elastic to activate the brake lever when transporting/storing upsidedown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.