Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for some new brakes and i am trying to decide between the two. i weigh in the 190 range and ride east coast xc with a lot of elevation change. would either of these be better?

Thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
vote for Louise FR

I weigh 190 also, ride similar terrain, and love my Louise FRs. I have the 180 front/160 rear setup. I have over 1200 miles on mine now and have had zero problems. If you run a Fox fork, make sure that you have the fork tabs faced for proper alignment of the caliper.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
louise

thanks for the reply, whichever i get i will have faced and intalled by hammerhead bikes (i am looking at getting a hammerhead and that's what they recomend) another question is what kind of maint will i have to perform and can i do it? i am asking because there are no magura dealers around here.

Thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hammerhead setup my brakes as well when I bought my 5 Spot. They were perfect from the beginning. As far as maintenence goes, you need to check the pads for wear and replace when necessary. I am still on my origianl set of pads but I bought a replacement set and a bleed kit from Magura so I would have them when I need them. I have not had to bleed them yet but there is so much good info on this site and the Magura Cult web site that I don't forsee a problem.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
mtbykr said:
what kind of maint will i have to perform and can i do it?
On you initial question - if ever you think that you might be better off with bigger brakes just get them. Not many people complain of too much brake but many complain of not enough.

On the above question. Normally if you experience no problems there is no maintenance other than checking for pad wear. But to be prepared you should have a bleed kit and have a Magura manual, know where to download the online one and/or be aware of my Magura Cult site. It has the very latest updated bleeding instructions.

Mike T. (mcm # 717)

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
mtbykr said:
i am looking for some new brakes and i am trying to decide between the two. i weigh in the 190 range and ride east coast xc with a lot of elevation change. would either of these be better?

Thanks
Another vote for the FRs. While the Martas are good brakes, it doesn't sound like what you need. The Louise has much beefier levers and larger rotors. I recently switched from Martas to the Louise XCs (same as FRs but with 160 rotors front and rear). I wasn't displeased with the Martas but switched to a Manitou with Post Mounts. I opted for new brakes rather than investing in another caliper for the Martas. I'm glad I switched. The Martas are attractive because of the extra low weight but the Louise are much more appropriate for my type of riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.