Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Marta SL brakes on order at Cambria Bike but am now considering switching to Juicy Ultimates.

Does anyone have real weights on either brake?

Bleeding experience with either? (I've only done shimano and hayes)

Power? Durability?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Lever feel on the Maggies is waaaaay better than the Juicys. That's just my opinion though. The Juicys always feel to grabby to me. Maguras feel a lot like Shimanos, which I like. Power? Both are good, but I'd give a slight edge to the Martas. Durability? Dunno. Don't own either, so I can really comment. Same for bleeding.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
german Mags...

even german magazines prefer the new Juicy Ultimates over the Martas! not just 1 magazine but both main magazines did comparison tests and both rate the Juicy as the best brake for crosscountry use.
better power, better feel, better modulation. bleeding is real easy as is shortening of the hoses.
just 15g heavier than the Marta SL.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
nino said:
even german magazines prefer the new Juicy Ultimates over the Martas! not just 1 magazine but both main magazines did comparison tests and both rate the Juicy as the best brake for crosscountry use.
better power, better feel, better modulation. bleeding is real easy as is shortening of the hoses.
just 15g heavier than the Marta SL.
I thought you weren't very impressed with your Juicys.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm kinda in between.

Heres my take on the pros/cons of the brakes. Anyone have others that I missed? I have never riden them and I guess thats what it all comes down to.

The Martas are available in Red and will match my Nitrous and are light. They seem to be the favorite of MB Action.

The Juicys are compatible with the matchmaker mount and my X.0 triggers which will free up some bar room and look better. Avid offers support at races (like Crankworx). And we already own Avid brakes which will make it easier (less pads/parts) however the caliper appears to be different and possibly require different pads?

Martas are claimed at 324 and Juicy Ultimates 345. I'm running an IS fork...and I think Avid weighed theirs without the IS adapter.

Does anyone know the weight of there Marta SLs or Juicy Ultimates?

On weight weenies the Marta SL seems to be 345 for the front and 360 for the rear but there are no Juicy ultimates listed.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
I have Marta SL's on 2 of my bikes........And Juicy Ultimates on 1......

Power........Dead Heat IMO
Feel/Modulation...........Avid
Set Up............Avid (no facing of tabs needed unlike Magura where it is vital)
Weight...........Sorry I'm not a WW extreme so 15-25 grams doesnt worry me so only you can make the call,

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
My Marta SL with Extralite bolts is 336/350

The bolts saved a total of 12g

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im a weight weenie within limits. I don't run any extralite or other stupid light brands. My bikes will never be lighter than the pros....21 is light, no foam grips & brands of parts most of us have never herd of......so Juicy it is!

Things change fast!!! O well, Cambriabike has the Juicys in stock so its an easy decision....im dying to get the last shipment of parts for my Nitrous!

The Cambriabike website doesn't specify weather the front brake is post or IS....or for post do you just remove the adapter making them all IS in the first place?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've herd a lot about Ti bolts on bikes.

Anyone have advice or online stores where they can be found?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Mr. RMB said:
Im a weight weenie within limits. I don't run any extralite or other stupid light brands. My bikes will never be lighter than the pros....21 is light, no foam grips & brands of parts most of us have never herd of......so Juicy it is!

Things change fast!!! O well, Cambriabike has the Juicys in stock so its an easy decision....im dying to get the last shipment of parts for my Nitrous!

The Cambriabike website doesn't specify weather the front brake is post or IS....or for post do you just remove the adapter making them all IS in the first place?

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah, just take the adapter off. Keep using the little hemispherical washers though. Those are one nice feature of the Avids- they reduce/ eliminate the need for facing of the mounting tabs. They're just like the washers on a v-brake pad, the ones that you use to align the bad on the rim. They do the same sort of thing to the caliper.

I like the lever feel on the Maguras better, but maybe I'm just wierd. :D The Juicy's aren't bad brakes, just not my first choice. Enjoy.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
wrong - i love V's

Hardtails Are Better said:
I thought you weren't very impressed with your Juicys.....
not correct - it's just that i still love my V's.
1 lbs lighter;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice.

My Juicy Ultimates are in the mail!

Time was what decided it...the Marta SLs have been on order for 2 weeks (I wanted the red ones....hard to find) and Cambria Bike didn't have them in stock.

I just can't wait any longer.....

Nows the hard part....finding brake pads....I think they are different for other Juicy's? Am I right?

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
The new Magura Venti rotors are sweet looking!

Are are also available in the Center-Lock version which means no more apdaters. CL hubs are lighter too.

I wil post some CL Venti 160mm rotor weights as son as they arrive!

They should be lighter than the SL rotor.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mr. RMB said:

Time was what decided it...the Marta SLs have been on order for 2 weeks (I wanted the red ones....hard to find) and Cambria Bike didn't have them in stock.

Nows the hard part....finding brake pads....I think they are different for other Juicy's? Am I right?
I'm pretty sure your new brakes will come with pads. I don't think you need to worry abut this right now.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Mr. RMB said:

Yeah red Marta's took a bit of time.........I waited 3 weeks for mine......Avid Ultimates seem pretty readily available........Formula's are nice, but for the fact that msrp on just the caliper and levers is greater then Marta's and Avid complete .....I can't justify the extra cost for the full set.......

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Are are also available in the Center-Lock version which means no more apdaters. CL hubs are lighter too.

I wil post some CL Venti 160mm rotor weights as son as they arrive!

They should be lighter than the SL rotor.
Gio,
the Ventisdiscs are a lot HEAVIER !!!!! even the german magazines, usually all pro magura, said they replaced them with regular rotors....

MAGURA Louise Ventidisc 180 mm rotor 2007 ø180 mm, w/out bolts: 208g ...................ouch!

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
nino said:
Gio,
the Ventisdiscs are a lot HEAVIER !!!!! even the german magazines, usually all pro magura, said they replaced them with regular rotors....

MAGURA Louise Ventidisc 180 mm rotor 2007 ø180 mm, w/out bolts: 208g ...................ouch!
Well there is only one version. They are compaitable with ALL Marta and 07 Loiuse brakes.

Man that is very dispointing. The CL version was a lot less material then the 6-bolt version. So if it's the same weight as the SL rotor with a CL adapter, that fine with me. Also for others, if the claim of better ventilation is right, then that might help.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.