Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, I have a bike at my local dealer, that is completely assembled, and has been for almost two weeks now, except for the rear brake caliper, which is a 2008 Marta SL (which if you are familiar with them, is an IS mount caliper).

The problem is, that when the caliper was mounted, one of the pads rubbed really hard on one of the rotors, with no brake lever pressure. The other pad was far from the rotor. After talking with my dealer, he said that the workshop instructions mention some 10 various shims that are supposed to be used with the IS mount caliper to space it away from the frame, in order to get the pads centered.

My bike kit did not come with these spacers, and the dealer has looked into alternative spacers, but nothing can be found that spaces them correctly. He has tried to contact Magura twice now, and it's been over two weeks, without getting the spacers. I guess possibly some were lost in the mail, as they had indicated that they had sent some, but even after this second contact, we haven't seen them.

I decided to try and get in on this myself, and contacted Magura through their web site form, and it has been almost a week, and I've heard nothing back from them. I then decided to register on their forums, as it looked like several people got resolution on there, but alas, they won't accept email address with hotmail, gmail, or yahoo as the domain name?! What the heck! I finally signed up for an e-mail that would be accepted, and now am informed that a moderator must approve my account before I can make a post!!!

I've sent an e-mail directly to the bike manufacturer of the bike now, to see if they have any extras laying around. I guess this was mainly just a rant, but I find it difficult to believe that some penny washers are keeping my machine from being complete.

I have spent hours at several hardware stores to try and find washers that would work, but they are either too thick, or too big in diameter. My dealer is just as frustrated as I am... :madman: :madman: :madman:

·
Banned
960 Posts
bro...your lbs should have been on the phone with qbp (or any of the part dist.) that day and ordered some after market spacers,so I would also put it on him.
Also,just call magura,there c.s. is great,someones always there to help

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, true, it's a little hole in the wall type of place, so I wanted to throw some business their way. Some of it should be on them, but if the original parts had been included, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place...

If I don't hear anything in a couple days, I'll go ahead and just give Magura a call direct...or order those $14.50 shims! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Go to a bigger, well-stocked LBS and get the open-ended, "C" shims, with the tiny handles. They are much better than always removing that darned caliper mounting bolt, just to add/remove shims. Spend more time riding...not getting the Marta caliper aligned all day long!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Shims

save yourself some time, money, and hassle.

www.mcmaster.com, part number: 98089A247, $9.91 for a pack of 25. Where I live, McMaster usually delivers the next-day at Ground prices.

The spacers are simple stainless steel shims. 6mm ID, 12mm OD. I chose 0.2mm thick for my Marta's and they do a nice job of getting the rotor perfectly centered. I have needed between zero and seven spacers per mounting hole depending on the frame and fork on four different bikes.

good luck.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
This is the packet of bits that Magura ships with the Marta SL brakes, spacers, bolts, spare olive and barbed fitting, so it should have been included.

I have discovered that the Shimano shims which are a fork type similar to the Jagwire shims, are much easier and faster to set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, mine came with that little bag for each caliper, only no shims, and the caliper bolts had blue locktite on them, instead of red.

I'm going to swing by a couple shops tomorrow, and see if anyone has the fork shaped shims, otherwise, I will order the shims through McMaster Carr. I've ordered from them before.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, turns out that my dealer finally got the shims from Magura today. However, I called a local shop, and found they had the Jagwire versions, so I ended up buying 10 of those from them. The others can be backups. Those little handles are awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.