Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dave, we've never met but I want to thank you for what you have done out there. I'm a scant few miles away in Amesbury and tho I am a Fort Rock regular, the Marsh has become my favorite place to ride, as it is close and ridiculously fun. I have read up on the cottages and the most recent articles show the project was stalled due to the economy. I take it based on the big yellow tank in the picture that things are moving forward?

One other question ... I see there's a parcel of about 6 acres for sale right now. Sign posted right at the goshdurn trailhead. Do you know what's going on with that and/or how much it'll affect the trails?

Lastly, want to offer my services if you need help w/ anything out there - clearking, cleaning, dusting, vacuuming whatever.

-Swamp Thing

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Swamp Thing.....The yellow tank you see in the picture has more to do with the 6 acres for sale then it does to the cottage project....which is dead. This parcel has been for sale before and was in auction as well. Nothing really happened. I would only lose a couple hundred yards of trail if in fact it gets developed. Since you show interest in helping out.....We should hook up for a ride some time and discuss some of the work I want to do out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
CHP I have a question. In looking thru a handful of vids online it seems there is a section(s) of the trails I have yet to access. Best examples are this clip ...

Bike ride seabrook - YouTube

and @ 1:56-2:20 in this one ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTpseV0XPs

These show what looks like the marsh in the background, a view I have never experienced out there. Would you be willing to pass along some directions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all, looks like some serious stuff going on. Many trails already trashed. Can anyone shed light on what's happening and whether or not this will be the real end of Marshabesic? Is this the cottages getting built or something else. Regardless -- it suuuuuucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was out there last night, there were a lot of leaves on the trails and didn't look like hardly anybody had been out there. My ride was cut short due to a broken derailleur hanger though so I didn't see everything. I hope these trails are kept around as they are great, some of my favorite to ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm with you man, but some friends hit the north side on Saturday and said someone had gone through and cleared a bunch of trees, destroying many of the trails. And the new dirt road on the south side already messed with one of the entry trails. :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Do you know is the guy who originally built those trails still around?
I am indeed....first off I've lost about 300 yards of trail on the southern end. There may be a house or 2 built in there. I made a new trail on the Seabrook side of the wire cable that gets you in. The other mess that was mentioned is the result of the land owner harvesting some wood for the second year in a row. I have already cleared the debris off of the main route so point to point is once again do-able. The "traffic circle" is another story. It is still blocked... especially on the "natural tranny" side. I intend to clear the leaves over the next couple of weeks and get the remaining trail cleared.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am indeed....first off I've lost about 300 yards of trail on the southern end. There may be a house or 2 built in there. I made a new trail on the Seabrook side of the wire cable that gets you in. The other mess that was mentioned is the result of the land owner harvesting some wood for the second year in a row. I have already cleared the debris off of the main route so point to point is once again do-able. The "traffic circle" is another story. It is still blocked... especially on the "natural tranny" side. I intend to clear the leaves over the next couple of weeks and get the remaining trail cleared.
PM sent about helping clear the trails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many thanks to you CHP for something so bad ass so close to Haverhill! I ride there on the regs. Surprisingly have not seen another person out there yet but as am EMT I have a pretty weird sched. Saw some leaves blown off last fall so you must still be out there. LMK if need any help clearing or maintenance. Prob borrow some saws and what not from my brother soon and see what I can do about some downed trees. But again great job and thanks for your hard work building it, love the short flats and all the up and overs!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haven't attempted to ride the Marsh in many months due to presence of trailer at the Seabrook Rd. entrance and a large steel gate on the entrance off Worthley. Was wondering if CHP or anyone else knows the condition of the trails (how much more has been lost?) and if it's even copacetic to ride out there anymore. If you guys are still using the trails, where are you entering? TY.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts