Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was out last week on Tuesday morning. The ground was still frozen, so the riding was great. But, the trail damage was pretty extensive. The newer trail that runs along the water to the dam head was really torn up. There were some tire deep ruts in the frozen mud. Much of the trail, before the bridges, has doubled in width. There were many sections in the bonus loop, starting below the dam, that were in the same sad shape. If anyone has be by that way, can you please post a report.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12/31 Report

I got to the trail ~ 9:30 and rode the new trail along the water and a loop over the dam. The first half of the new trail was torn up pretty badly, but was frozen, so ridable. As you got back into the wooded area, the trail dried out and wasn't bad at all, but for a few areas. On the way out, going back on the new trail to the parking lot, it had defrosted and was terrible. I finished right as the wind started picking up. If the forecast is right, everything should re-freeze throughout the day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
MC does not drain well. Riding in mud can be fun, but its destructive too. That said, ride it early morning before the sun hits anything. Even if temps are below freezing, the earth will thaw out in the spots where the sun hits it. I hit MC wed. morning (i think it was wed. morning?) and it was good to go.

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Jk....

Do you ride MC on a "regular" enough basis that you may be able to post a two second, "yeh or neh" to this thread when you hit it?
Not a responsibility type thing...just if you think of it on a day that you may ride it?

I want to try to ride it sometime next weekend if the timing is right (if family time allows...probably going to be a last minute decision for me) and don't want to drive down for poor conditions. (Or, to get out on the trails and find that it may cause damage) I now live "a touch outside of the area".
Used to be in Lionville...now of Lancaster Co.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
New Year's day was pretty frigid, if you recall. Still, where the sun hit the trail, there was mud. If you can catch it during sub-freezing temp's, without direct sun, you'll be OK. Otherwise, it'll be muddy and slippery as hell.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I get there at least once a week...

I'm leaving right now. Will be there for a few hours and will post here when I get back to let ya'll know how it is :D I will try to post up after every ride there to fill ya'll in.

Cheers!

·
Registered
100 Posts
got there around 9ish rode till noon. everything was frozen and was fairly rutted/messed up from bikes/walkers/animals etc. was on the full squishy 29er so i didn't notice it so much, but i usually ride a fully rigid 29er so i can say that if i were on that it would've been a harsh ride. there were spots where the tops of the puddles froze over, but you could still break through them and get into some water/mud, but the bike stayed fairly clean. tomorrow should be good as well, but get out in the morning...the earlier the better especially if the sun has a chance of coming out.

one thing to note if you ride monday - saturday....there are an a$$ load of hunters out there. no exaggeration, i saw at least 30 out there today...probably 20 or so in a big group. just a few minutes after i saw them i scared up a whitetail and not a minute later i heard every one of those guns go off. what a sound! i think they were going for venison burger!

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
A friend of mine is heavy into hunting and said that the season still runs until Jan 24 here in S.E. PA.
Thanks for posting. And, if you're out there any more this week, feel free to post again! :D
Will try to keep an eye on the temps also. Our ride would probably be mid-morning to coincide with a lunch at Victory after. :thumbsup:
If it's going to be too warm, that time of day will be WAY too muddy, I'm sure.

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post.
With this cold snap that we are due this weekend, I think that everything should (hopefully) be solid. Friday is only supposed to go up to 18-20 degr. :eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have some buddies I grew up with in northern VT who ice fish on lake champlain who try to get me to come up to go out with them...I really should go. Great way to kick back and relax with friends and maybe some Jameson :)

Its nice that the temps have been low enough to keep the singletrack frozen. In fact my bike actually got a bit dusty my last time out...kinda strange this time of year. I ended up going to Brandywine in DE saturday morning and had a great time. If you haven't been there I would plan a trip. Its like the west side of Marsh Creek with the ridge that drops down to the double track in multiple spots only 3 times as big. A good sized ravine (for this area anyway) that has some decent climbs, tight, twisty singletrack (mostly) that is fast and flowy. Even some nice soft loamy areas. Right now I'm all about the loam after about 200 miles in 2008 at Bear Creek alone...on a fully rigid ss 29er.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Marsh ice

You should go -it really is cool being out on the ice on a sunny day. I grew up ice fishing in NW Pa, but never tried Marsh -- this was my first time with a bike on the ice. I usually ride through the winter but not on much singletrack -- just fireroad and trail type riding. I will check out Brandywhine one of the days!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got out to MC yesterday and it was pretty tricky. For the most part it was breakable crust, but the going was really slow. I only pedaled a couple of miles because it wasn't really fun. The spots that got a lot of sun were softened up enough to be good riding, but those were few and far between. I busted my A$$ a few times hitting some super icy spots. I heard that it didn't snow so much down in DE so I'm wondering how Brandywine is. Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.