Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help over here please. I had a 2013 SJ 29 that i was selling or looking to trade. I met this cool guy through Pinkbike looking to trade his 2016 SJ carbon comp (satin black version). So we met up and check each others bike out. His looked good. Just dirty really. But I did notice the top tube had some weird patterns/marks going on. I asked him about it and he said it just looks like carbon to him. I aslo figured it would just wash off.
So we did the deal, went home, washed the bike and the marks remained. And noticed more on different spots on the frame. At that point I was REAL nervous. I mean, its not cracked or anything, so I guess its just a visual thing, but still. Id like to know what it is. Plus makes a difference for resale value. Did he have protective tape on there then remove it? Was it improperly cleaned? Is it normal on the satin black model? It's almost a matte black color. I did some research and one place said it happens on matte frames sometime and that its part of the process? I dunno. Please educated me!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Stop riding that bike immediately. That is the carbon lay-up delaminating due to insufficient curing tempreture.

Not really. It's totally normal :) It's visible on gloss clear coat frames too. It's just the alternating lay-up reflecting the light differently. The spots on the down tube are probably resin under the clear coat.

·
Registered
477 Posts
As JCL said, that's normal on unpainted carbon: It is a raw carbon frame – the layups are shining through. A lot of people like the look of it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Same here! Don't worry... I asked directly to specialized.
Unpainted frames are like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JCL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're killing me!!!! I rolled out of bed and quickly grabbed my phone to see if I had response.
AND THEN I READ " Stop riding that bike immediately. That is the carbon lay-up delaminating due to insufficient curing tempreture."

I thought I was going to throw up!!!!!! Geeeez. You got me soooo bad, you don't even know. wow! Thats messed up. I think it's hilarious that you knew that response would mess a carbon noob in the head like that!.

Thanks everyoen else for the response's and support. This forum is freaking awesome for newer people in the sport. I feel 1000% better!.

But still, begs the question, why would you make a frame like that. Yeah, it's carbon, yeah, it looks good out the box. But to some people it just looks like damage right? I would personally NEVER have chosen this satin black over the glossy blue carbon SJ. Weird.

On another note, should I be be putting protective tape all over the place on the frame? It already has some on the bottom of the down down tube and some on the front of the head tube, where there is potential for cable rub.

Thanks again everyone. truly.

IMAG3436.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
But still, begs the question, why would you make a frame like that. Yeah, it's carbon, yeah, it looks good out the box. But to some people it just looks like damage right? I would personally NEVER have chosen this satin black over the glossy blue carbon SJ. Weird.
I know what you mean! I have been there... Almost returned my bike thinking this was a defective finishing.
If I had an option I would choose the matte black, even thinking it looks great at certain distance (better than any other color imo), but when you get too closer, you can see the lack of finishing.
It really doesn't bother me, but I think it can be a problem when I try to sell in the future. Not sure if the buyer will understand that this is not a problem.
Anyway, the Camber Elite Carbon is available only in this color. I had no other option.

Best regards and enjoy your bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
I'm sure most buyers are aware of this. Plenty of frames, all ENVE wheels, many Zipp wheels, etc look like this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Totally normal.

My unpainted Fatboy carbon fork has the same visual look in some spots.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
JCL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're killing me!!!! I rolled out of bed and quickly grabbed my phone to see if I had response.
AND THEN I READ " Stop riding that bike immediately. That is the carbon lay-up delaminating due to insufficient curing tempreture."

I thought I was going to throw up!!!!!! Geeeez. You got me soooo bad, you don't even know. wow! Thats messed up. I think it's hilarious that you knew that response would mess a carbon noob in the head like that!.
Hahahahaha!

That uniform checkered finish people usually associate with CF is actually an aesthetic wrap that would needlessly add weight to a frame. Although some companies still apply it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On another note, should I be be putting protective tape all over the place on the frame? It already has some on the bottom of the down down tube and some on the front of the head tube, where there is potential for cable rub.
I have the same unpainted carbon finish on my epic, and have it covered in paint protection film.

Just make sure to get matt film, or matt helicopter tape for protection. when removing it, use a hairdrier.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Stumpy. Yes, for some that would raise concern seeing a nice CF bike look so "grainy" and non-uniform, but for a matte-finished frame using a layup without weave, this is quite normal. To fully understand what you're seeing, you have to understand how CF is laid up. In production frames, tubular jigs are used and there is a thin layer of resin applied to the interior, followed by a layer of CF, then more resin, another layer, etc. Many of these "highlights" that you're seeing in the pattern is resin that is a slight bit thicker than other areas. If you happened to sand down all those areas, you'd eventually get to the CF layer itself. CF with a weave pattern has the same occurrence, but isn't noticeable due to the cross hatched pattern that is more dominant. Also, the entire surface of weaved CF is generally buffed to a high gloss.

There's a lot of different CF layup methods and types that offer various looks, but I hope this gives you a better understanding of what you're seeing with your current frame.

As to protection... It's always good to protect a bikes frame in high-wearing areas or areas of exposure to rocks and debris. This is especially important for CF frames. I would suggest areas such as the down tube, areas where cables rub and chain stays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just make sure to get matt film, or matt helicopter tape for protection. when removing it, use a hairdrier.

What tape do you recommend ? Best place to purchase?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I learned a lot!!! Very helpful. I used to view the markings on the frame as "imperfections", now I when I see them I appreciate them, as they are just part of the carbon goodness!

I've started the research into matte heli tape as well. I saw a video on a tape from "rhino". Anyone have input on that one for my bike or any other? Size of tape (width) needed?

·
Registered
107 Posts

What tape do you recommend ? Best place to purchase?
Not too sure where is the best place to get, as I am not sure of your location in the world, however google is your friend.

I've always used 3M Scotchguard paint protection film, for cars, and spend time making templates and cutting the correct shapes rather than tape. 3M also do Helitape. As I say, have a look on google. Beware the cheaper tapes, they yellow over time.

Good Luck :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts