Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience w/the Manitou Markhor fork? My friend has one and has to run the air pressure way high to prevent blowing through all the travel and going over the bars when braking. We are running max pressure as stated on the label now and still we aren't super happy at the result.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Manitou forks generally don't give up their travel easily. How much does your friend weight and how much air are you putting in the fork?

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did he check the compression damper fluid level? Good reference thread...

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/manitou-kwik-toggle-damper-anyone-1053156.html
Thanks for that link. Good idea, and we're definitely going to pull the damper and see about the fluid level. Some evening this week, I hope.

@nikon255, The rider weighs maybe 130-140. If we put in the recommended air pressure for that weight and tap the brakes in the driveway, the fork dives through almost all its travel. It's a setup for going OTB. We have to run the fork at its max air pressure to hold the line on brake dive.

@Dougal, I was hoping you would chime in. You're the first person I think of when I think of fork knowledge.

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
Thanks for that link. Good idea, and we're definitely going to pull the damper and see about the fluid level. Some evening this week, I hope.

@nikon255, The rider weighs maybe 130-140. If we put in the recommended air pressure for that weight and tap the brakes in the driveway, the fork dives through almost all its travel. It's a setup for going OTB. We have to run the fork at its max air pressure to hold the line on brake dive.

@Dougal, I was hoping you would chime in. You're the first person I think of when I think of fork knowledge.
Defintely check oil level. Even the Kwik Toggle damper has decent compression damping with the right oil level. Doesn't sound like you have any.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
A 140lb rider maxing out a manitou spring should basically have a rigid fork. Nevermind the damper, that amount of pressure should basically lock the fork. Something is off.

When the spring is sorted, the ABS damper upgrade is absolutely worth doing, but I think the spring is doing something weird, or your pump gauge is off.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Would it hurt anything to experiment with a different weight damper oil in those fixed dampers?

Would it hurt anything to experiment with making the spring rate more progressive by adding oil to the air chamber?

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would be nice to know the outcome :confused:
Hey, sorry to leave the thread dangling. The outcome is that I had offered to help my friend experiment with oil weights, and he didn't want to put in the time. He ended up lowering the air pressure somewhat and adapting. He hasn't mentioned the issue in quite some time now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.