Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some marketing help...(free trip to Peru?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, as many of you know, I have a Mt. Bike tour company in Peru. What I am doing (or trying to do) is different from what other tour companies are offering. I specialize in VERY hard riding, both uphill and down, and can tailor a trip to any advanced riding taste. I have qualified, knowledgable, and reliable guides in three parts of the country, around Lima, Huaraz, and of course Cusco/Sacred Valley.
I also specialize in the gastronomic culture of Peru..we eat at the finest and most diverse restaurants available, and the possibility of some culinary classes exists as well. Same goes for Pisco appreciation and tasting. (The Pisco you can sample from local vinters is a whole different thing that the store bought stuff, it is more like a fine brandy or congac).
We also stay in very nice places, as much for security as for comfort.

SO, I have great product, everything totally organised, great guides, etc, the only thing I am lacking now is CLIENTS. I am currently revamping the website, www.pocolocotours.com (it is down for repairs) , but I need to get eyeballs onto it, or find some other gorilla techniques to spread the word of what I have available. I have no budget to speak of, so advertising in Bike, MTBA, Maxim, Outside, etc, is not viable. Bike just did an extensive piece on Peru, so trying to get free play from an industry invite is highly unlikely right now. I have pursued the most obvious free avenues, forums, etc, but I don't like spamming, so there ya go.
Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to create some exposure for very little $$$?
ALSO (may be another thread) I am looking for a site builder that might be interested in working towards a trip, any code monkeys out there?
Thanks in advance, R
( I also would be willing to compensate well for someone who could deliver an effective, trackable marketing campaign).

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ohh, speak to me dirty, big boy.
A, how could we get someone to pay your airfare?
Would you be interested in doing a co-op, type thing, I cover your tour, you cover airfare, but then you own the photographic product? (and help with the website!!)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
rideit said:
Ohh, speak to me dirty, big boy.
A, how could we get someone to pay your airfare?
Would you be interested in doing a co-op, type thing, I cover your tour, you cover airfare, but then you own the photographic product? (and help with the website!!)
in.

I'll look into airfare.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anthonys said:
in.

I'll look into airfare.
OK, let's do this.
pick some possible dates that work for you, and we can pitch the trip from there.
OH, PM me, I called your phone, no workie.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Just curious

When you're running a tour in the south do you still fly folks into Lima? When I worked in Peru (three summers in Ilo, garden spot of the south! ;)) back in the day, we always prefered flying into and out of Arica, Chile. Fares were the same, liquor was free, and the attendants were much easier on the eyes. In contrast, flying to/from Lima was just plain stressful (and flight times out of Miami sucked), and then we still had to fly down south which was an adventure in its own right. I still hate flying as a result of one of those trips into Tacna. :)

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wooglin said:
When you're running a tour in the south do you still fly folks into Lima? )
Lots of things have changed, many for the better. Pretty much all flights in and out of Peru fly into Lima, but that is not a bad thing anymore. The airport is shiny and new, customs is easy, and Lima is VERY much cleaned up. It is now a fun city, lots to do, see, and eat!
The flight schedules are now pretty good, many arrive between 10:30 pm and 1:30, which works well for me.
The flights out of Lima are now pretty numerous, and quick. Cusco is just over an hour, no problems...and Lan is chilean owned, so the food and talent are a little better. No problems, right now!

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wherewolf said:
Give MTBBill a free trip in exchange for a big video! I know his video sold a few people on that Mexico trip in the spring.
One problem, I ain't got no $$$$....I can comp my profit, but I don't have the capital to 'float' people. I can do invites for cost, if the person can bring a proven track record of sales performance to the event...

·
Lurker
192 Posts
What do you charge for your excersions? how long are they? do you have pics? whats are the avg temps in the diff. seasons.I MIGHT looking to do something like this looking this in late fall depending on the wife, I think should would rather have a new living room set lmao, but a tour like this could last you a life time. How much money would you need while your there? You need to get that site up.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
just dont feed people cuy, those guinea pig things.

peru is awesome! we went to cusco and hiked the inca trail years ago. no guide or porters.

you should try to get into the lonely planet guide. lots of people use that. you would get backpackers and such.

maybe organize some sort of race, like that one in costa rica.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you should try to get into the lonely planet guide. lots of people use that. you would get backpackers and such. maybe organize some sort of race said:
Thanks for the input.
However, the LP crowd is not the sort of client I am looking for...think a bit more hardcore and upscale.
BTW, did you know that you are now required by the GVMT to use porters and guides for the Inca trail? It is illegal to do it unsupported now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Consider extending the reach of your marketing campaign to the fertile plains of Europe, land of 5+ weeks of vacation and strong currencies. You could advertise in local languages but still have English be the tour language, which won't be a problem for anyone you might attract.

Also consider having your services listed (or whatever the industry term is) with travel and tour agencies around the world. Lots of people are into package tours but aren't into/don't have time to research on their own, so the easier you make it for someone to book your tour, the better off you will be.

Which brings up another point--you might want to have a fully customizable option for adventure seekers who know, more or less, what they want and just need a guide, and prepackaged options for those who value convenience over adventure. Then charge more for the former and save time and money on the latter.

·
Flying High Again
549 Posts
rideit said:
Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to create some exposure for very little $$$?
post some killer TRs from peru. if you post it, they will come. :thumbsup:

peru sounds intriguing. i've been there for surfing and it was one of my best trips ever. i can imagine how incredible DH biking along the sacred valley must be. if i were stateside, i'd seriously consider a bike trip. but from europe, it's a bit far to travel for biking. and hard to compete with all the great biking in the alps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
agree, I think that a post with lots of nice pictures (like the one of the Bolivian altiplano a few week ago) will get some attention.

I'm going to be in Peru from mid August to September, and although Continental has a bike embargo during the summer, I'm still hoping to take my bike. My plan is to ride along the ridge in the pass between Canchaque and Huancabamba in N Peru.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.