Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I recently made the switch to a 29er and was wondering if there were any reputable articles of late as to how much traction the platform has gained. More than half the LBS guys I talk to say that 29er is the only way to go if you are looking for a hardtail and the forums are full of that same kind of thinking. The newstand pubs don't seem to be giving it the same level of credibility though. Any links or thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,879 Posts
29ers get lots of traction.

sorry I got nothing else on this though...Mountain bike action is coming around to 29ers. Racers are beginning to win races on them. It is coming just remember that everything from separate stem and bar set ups to front and then rear suspension took its own sweet time to get there. Let's not try to hurry the progress IMO.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Unless you plan on selling them, does it matter? If you like your bike, ride it. Who cares how popular or trendy it is.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It matters to me because

I want to know at what level new parts and products will continue to be developed, are they on the rise or have they leveled off. I am interested to see if it will remain niche, become established or fade. Or if the market will continue to fracture with the 650b causing products to be further specialized. As a guy who pieces together old bikes at times obsolete technologies are at the front of mind as they are difficult to work around.

Obviously this forum will not answer all of those questions but I am just throwing this out there to see if anyone has read anything of interest recently.

·
Administrator
574 Posts
laffeaux said:
Unless you plan on selling them, does it matter? If you like your bike, ride it. Who cares how popular or trendy it is.
If you care about having numerous tire, rim, fork and frame offerings popularity is paramount.

To the OP: You can begin to gauge the popularity of the 29er movement by the increasing number of 29er products on the market.

One reason you see less 29er coverage in print mags is, when compared to the entire mountain bike market, 29ers comprise small segment. That said, you're likely to find at least one 29er product review in almost any mountain biking mag you reach for.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
29ers, 26ers. To me they're the same.
I am going up north for the long weekend, and taking the Salsa Mamacita. I'll snap some pictures.
I actually miss my old Gunnar Ruffian. Such a fun bike. To ride a 29er is as comparable to me now as owning a H2 Hummer, just to show my insecurities.

But bikes are bikes. 29ers are cool. So are the common 26ers. Own n' ride what you have, and have fun. That's all that matters, have fin while riding.

·
Registered
358 Posts
FWIW, I see more and more 29ers here in the SF bay area. Rigid, hardtail, even some FS bikes now. The 29er forum is just about the most popular on mtbr. So, I'd say these are indicators of trends...

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
mdb1974 said:
existential thought
it's a prerequisite for the trend

Back to your original question - spend some time perusing the Sea Otter and Interbike forum and look at the number of product releases from 2006 to 2007 - pretty good in my opinion. Even more coming for 08.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
All in....

A few years ago, I would have said that 29'ers were a niche segment, but with a growing influence on world bicycle markets.

Now, I would say that 29'ers are a well established market share.

I mostly disregard bicycle mags anyway, most of them are advertiser-driven drivel. There are a couple of exceptions, however.

29'ers will continue to grow, 26'ers will not disappear, nor will 24's.

The emergence of the 650B which is a brilliant mix of 26" and 29" will also have a place in the market.

There is room enough for all these.

In the final analysis ... The Consumer decides who will prosper and who will not. Money speaks all languages... :D

R.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
fatdave said:
FWIW, I see more and more 29ers here in the SF bay area. Rigid, hardtail, even some FS bikes now. The 29er forum is just about the most popular on mtbr. So, I'd say these are indicators of trends...
The trend is definitely up, but man, it is slooooooowwwww. I just went to Pacific Bicycles in San Francisco, and was told the owner still thinks 29ers are just a fad. Mike's Bike's carries Fishers and didn't even bother to stock 29ers until fairly recently. I see more 29ers in the Bay Area too, but it's still a pretty small number and not too many bike shops are stocking 29er bikes and parts. Two thumbs up to Roaring Mouse though - they are a Niner dealer.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
fatdave said:
Bunch of peeps ben rockin the 29er in the 415 for some time. Word.

mdb1974 said:
Is this a bike forum or a sound-off for existential thought. I asked a question about bikes, not the meaning of life.
J.P. Satre is known to post here on occasion, if that helps.

Thor29 said:
The trend is definitely up, but man, it is slooooooowwwww. I just went to Pacific Bicycles in San Francisco, and was told the owner still thinks 29ers are just a fad. Mike's Bike's carries Fishers and didn't even bother to stock 29ers until fairly recently. I see more 29ers in the Bay Area too, but it's still a pretty small number and not too many bike shops are stocking 29er bikes and parts. Two thumbs up to Roaring Mouse though - they are a Niner dealer.
Mikes does not get it, yet, only bcus 29ers are not a proven cash cow. Mikes is all about PROFIT. (not that that is bad)

Best North Bay dealers for 29ers:

Summit Bikes on 4th Street, San Rafael. Militant, rabid 29er freaks.
Mill Valley Cyclerworks (Vegans!)
Mt. Tam Bikes, in MV (Bryce is kewl)
Also the shop that shall not be named.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.