Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
As for timing you might be right, as I placed my deposit after getting the drafts & geo tweaks finalised in 13th August and was told 12 - 14 weeks, so i wasn't expecting to see anything until November! But maybe they had a few extra people come on, or had a few people cancel, or focused on HT frames over duallies for a while.
Someone in the Marino facebook group also go his early and he had the hammered finish as well. I wonder if they went through and knocked out all the hammered finishes for some reason? Maybe it's a little extra paint setup so they did them all in a batch?

·
Registered
673 Posts
You ever get a shipping number/notification? Been over 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything.
As of yet no. Last contact was a week ago confirming all the extra parts I had ordered were, in fact, included. The usual email timeline for me has been 6 days as being on a totally opposite timezone means that by the time I reply, yheir inbox is already flooded with other stuff.

Time for a followup I'd say.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Got an email a little while ago, 8:20pm my time, but 4:20am Peru time! Pretty stoked to say that it's on the way and I've got a tracking number. Still to early to show up in that tracking system, but I'll be watching it like a hawk in the coming week.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Got an email a little while ago, 8:20pm my time, but 4:20am Peru time! Pretty stoked to say that it's on the way and I've got a tracking number. Still to early to show up in that tracking system, but I'll be watching it like a hawk in the coming week.
Same. Got my tracking number 4:19 am. Stoked!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sweet! Ha, let's see who gets it first eh? I'd hope that you, being on the same continent would, but with the messed up Covid freght and logistics impacts, I wonder if it gets across the Pacific first...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Frame came in yesterday. Built it up last night. The build was made with a lot of take off parts. Stem, handlebar, grips, headset, tires, brake adapters, and Boone Titanium cog and cog spacers are the parts I had to buy for the build. Some comments after receiving and building up the frame.

Their passthrough for the dropper post is a small tube and is hard to work with. It has a sharp edge and digs into the housing sheath and grabs it making it hard to feed. I haven't greased the dropper yet as I was test fitting it to cut the cable housing. It's such a PITA to feed the cable housing into the frame it's going to stay like this for a while.

The cable holders for the dropper is routed down the left side of the frame. I like my cables to loop to the opposite side of the frame for the controls and that makes it a bit awkward.

The slot in the seat tube which allows for the seat tube to clamp the seat post had a nasty burr and both edges of the slot were curled in. Almost like the slot was stamped instead of milled. I had to take a file to it to get the seatpost to insert correctly without gouging it up.

Welds look good. Paint looks amazing. Outside of the dropper passthrough I'm really happy with the frame. I can't beleive I forgot to weigh it before I built it up though.

The tugs on the dropouts seem like a really small diameter screw compared to other bikes I've seen with sliding dropouts.

I sized the bike with a 140mm fork in mind. My 140mm fork is on another bike right so I put a old 120mm Recon on the bike. When measured the head tube angle with my electronic angle it measured at 65.8 degrees with the 120mm fork. I had expected it to measure steeper with the shorter fork. Looking at my CAD drawing from Marino when you look closely at the measurement to the fork it's not to the center of the wheel. I suspect the geometry is based on the fork sagged. Might want to double check and specify if you intended your geometry to be sagged v unsagged.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Crankset Bicycle frame

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thansk for the write up. My frame is still chilling out in Peru waiting for a plane to come to Aus. Thankfully now that we've opened up our borders after 18 months of them being closed due to Covid, that should happen much faster.

Interesting points on the dropper post routing. When I specified my frame, I was able to choose left or right internal routing. I went internal rear derailleur routing also, and only had the rear brake line totally external, as I realy hate having to cut & re-olive a brake between every build! I'll keep an eye on the routing holes and maybe give them a really light file with some fine grit emery paper on the inner edge to smooth things out.

Also intersting on the geometry. I asked specifically if they did geo sagged or unsagged given the specified A2C, 568mm in my case for a 160m CC Helm Air, and they defiinitely stated everything un-sagged. I hope that's the case with my frame as otherwise the geo will be thrown out all over.

They've got your A2C in your geo sheet as 522mm, which I'd put down as a 130mm fork, rather than 140mm. A 650b Pike or Lyrik at 160mm is 552mm. That might be where your extra steepness is coming from.

Good luck with the finishing process and your first ride!

·
Trail Ninja
6,179 Posts
That hammerite finish has a fairly thick and soft gloss clear coat, if it's the same one i got. I covered mine in paint protection film (3m scotchgard stuff).

Just saying to bring your attention to it, before you get too excited, and lose the opportunity to protect it when it's fresh.

On a somewhat related note, it's #internationalsinglespeedday apparently.

Reactions: Isildur

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I had been debating whether to get it frameskinned here... Problem is the local mob here (who do fantstic work) cost almost as much as the frame! Definitley a splash in the ocean when comparing the cost of a shiny new carbon dually frame, but not so cost effective!

Still plenty of time for me to ponder though...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Also intersting on the geometry. I asked specifically if they did geo sagged or unsagged given the specified A2C, 568mm in my case for a 160m CC Helm Air, and they defiinitely stated everything un-sagged. I hope that's the case with my frame as otherwise the geo will be thrown out all over.

They've got your A2C in your geo sheet as 522mm, which I'd put down as a 130mm fork, rather than 140mm. A 650b Pike or Lyrik at 160mm is 552mm. That might be where your extra steepness is coming from.

Good luck with the finishing process and your first ride!
I have a old Non-boost Fox 36 I will eventually move over to it when I get a new fork for my trail bike. The 522 is what I measured on my fork.

In the notes when I ordered I did say my geometry was based on unsagged fork. For those reading this thread thinking of ordering a Marino it's probably something they will want to double check when they get their drawings from Elijah.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My frame hit the country on Thursday and is on for delivery today! Of course I'm not in the office today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to finally get my hands on it...

Ha, after this many months I suppose one more day isn't going to kill me!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Righteo, she's built up and I'll get some pictures tomorrow. A couple of very interesting things... And one very annoying thing...

• Head tube and BB faces were actually flat!
  • The internal dropper and rear derailleur cable runs are guided, which made life much easier considering a typical Park Tool cable set wouldn't work as the whole thing is magnetic ;)
  • The dropper routing is super tight around the downtube to seattube juntion.

Now the annoying thing... It's a bit over 2 degrees slacker than I specified. My phone reads the HA as 61.5 degrees. The seat angle measures as spec'd at 74 degrees, so it's not a "sag/unsagged" geo thing (and my phone reads my Ripmo HA bang on where it should be, so it's fairly accurate as phones go). Right now I'm pretty annoyed and have emailed them to find out what happened and what can be done.

Some may say it's a small thing, but it will change the ride dynamic fairly strongly! The point, for me, of going a custom geo bulid was to get what I asked for, not what I didn't... It seems that both @DeoreDX and I have encountered the same issue with Geo and Head Angle.

More updates to come as I wait for a reply from Marino.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts