Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Holy sh!t 180mm on a hardtail?! Looks great, interesting to hear how you find the ride.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I am looking forward to one day putting together my two Marinos that I have order. One is going to be a rigid 27.5+ bikepacking/trail setup. The other is a 26in just for fun build (coaster brake or single speed or whatever).

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: David R

·
Registered
1 Posts
I owned a marino for a long time. It was a polo bike, and on of my favorite bikes that I've ever owned. The fork failed rather spectacularly, which I think was an ongoing issue for a while, but the rest the bike was solid despite being abused routinely.

Also: Bike polo > cycleball.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,052 Posts
Here she is! Ready to hit the trails tomorrow. Put a Zeb 180mm, and geometry seems correct. Now I need to fix the lengths of cables and housings. Brakes also need some fine tuning.
View attachment 1936273
Now that looks like a very fun bike with an aggressive attitude! Good times, incoming...

Holy sh!t 180mm on a hardtail?! Looks great, interesting to hear how you find the ride.
My buddy had a Banshee morphine with a 180mm Marzocci on the front... Worked like a champ!

·
Registered
477 Posts
That's more common than it seems. It's definitely different from riding a FS, but that's stating the obvious. The FS will cover bad habits that the HT will expose. Having said that, I used to have 34/140mm fork. In less than three months, I upgraded one bike to 36/150 and put together another one with 38/180. I've been using ~80% of the travel most times. Difference is that now it's much more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
Does anyone have any commentary on how the bikes ride? Are they supple or harsh, heavy and dead or lively? Be keen to see how they compare to the off the shelf steel frames from commercial brands like Kona, cotic, chromag, Pipedream etc

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I only have a handful of rides on my new bike, and I'm not overwhelmed by the ride quality. It doesn't have that springy steel feeling that the best steel frame have. I went with a smaller diameter (28.6) top tube, to try to get a little more flex in it, but that doesn't seem to have worked for me. The rear end also kind of crashes over bumps, more so than my aluminum hardtail (a Ragley Marley, which admittedly has wider tires and a very short travel PNW Coast suspension dropper post, so not really apples to apples here)

Then again, it is a $250 frame. And the handling and fit are spot on.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I only have a handful of rides on my new bike, and I'm not overwhelmed by the ride quality. It doesn't have that springy steel feeling that the best steel frame have. I went with a smaller diameter (28.6) top tube, to try to get a little more flex in it, but that doesn't seem to have worked for me. The rear end also kind of crashes over bumps, more so than my aluminum hardtail (a Ragley Marley, which admittedly has wider tires and a very short travel PNW Coast suspension dropper post, so not really apples to apples here)

Understood thanks, I was afraid that might be the case. I have to admit I'm not an expert in how tube sizes and workmanship effect ride quality. They are cheap frames but you'd still want them to feel decent.

The Ragley is renowned to be a very comfortable frame even though it's alloy. I had one and it has much better ride characteristics than the Dartmoor and nukeproof alloy hardtails that came after.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My previous experience with a HT was with a Salsa Timberjack (aluminum). I felt the Marino frame with a nice bump absortion, but I'm very heavy (270 lb) and use 27.5 x 2.80 tires.

I felt it very playful, to the point that I dare do some stuff with this bike that I don't usually do with my FS, specially on short segments with lots of features. The wheelbase, however, is longer than my FS.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I asked Marino about tubing options, and they replied:

Hi, for thinner walls you'll have to go with heat treated 4130 or 725, which both are essentially the same material, the only difference is the certification of Reynolds as a brand.

We have these tubes available:
Top tube: 31.8mm*09-06-09 or 28.6mm*09-06-09
Downtube: 34.9mm*09-06-09 or 31.8mm*09-06-09
Seatstays: 16 mm or 19 mm *09 mm
Chainstays: 22.2 x 1.0 tapered 13 mm

So I opted for:

4130 HT in:
top tube: 28.6 9/6/9
down tube: 34.9 9/6/9
seat stays: 16mm

The only seat stay gusset is on the disc brake reinforcement. There is a seat stay bridge.

What tubing did you go with ? and does it have a seat stay gusset?

·
WNC Native
3,906 Posts

Did you previously have a Krampus frame, if so how does the compliance feel in relation to a Krampus frame?
I know these are not going to have high end tubing feel to them, but I'm curious how they compare to normal 4130 frames such as Krampus, KM, Honzo, etc.....

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I had an OG green Krampus. I can't say specifically how the Krampus feels in comparison, because it's been several years. I do recall that the Krampus felt too long and too stiff to me at the time. The Marino's geo feels better, but it just feels kind of heavy and slow. I think a lot of this might be the cheap 29er tires I'm using. I tried it with the 27.5" x 2.7" wheels from my Marley, and it felt better. Not great, but better.

For reference and personal benchmarking, I also had a 2012 KM, and it had a pretty lively ride to me. An older Niner SIR9 was nothing very special, but not bad. A quite old Gunnar Rockhound (still with canti posts!) was about the best riding steel mtb I've had, lively and springy. Should have kept that one. A later Rockhound, larger size, wasn't nearly as good. Maybe stiffer tubing in the bigger frame size.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a ton of spare parts in the garage and wanted to build up a modernish hardtail bike with the extras. I've been wanting to build a Titanium frame bike and this was a cheap way to build up a test frame with the geometry I think I want. Nothing too crazy aggressive far as the geometry is concerned. Using a 130mm fork. 27.5x2.6" tires. Boost spacing with sliding dropouts so I can eventually single speed it. Mounts for a bolt on top tube bag. Single water bottle mount.

Order placed August 19th.

Got my frame geometry drawing this morning. August 24th.

Few back and forth emails as I changed a few geometry numbers last minute and added the sliding dropouts and asked some frame material questions. Back and forth was very quick as he responded within 5-10 minutes of each query. Now comes the waiting game.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a ton of spare parts in the garage and wanted to build up a modernish hardtail bike with the extras. I've been wanting to build a Titanium frame bike and this was a cheap way to build up a test frame with the geometry I think I want. Nothing too crazy aggressive far as the geometry is concerned. Using a 130mm fork. 27.5x2.6" tires. Boost spacing with sliding dropouts so I can eventually single speed it. Mounts for a bolt on top tube bag. Single water bottle mount.

Order placed August 19th.

Got my frame geometry drawing this morning. August 24th.

Few back and forth emails as I changed a few geometry numbers last minute and added the sliding dropouts and asked some frame material questions. Back and forth was very quick as he responded within 5-10 minutes of each query. Now comes the waiting game.
Good luck. While you're at it, ask him when he plans to finish and send the "Geronimo" replacement to Casey Fry. It was a warranty replacement that he started a couple of years ago; the last I saw was a picture of the finished frame ready for paint, then.... GHOST.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts