Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a new Hardtail to the bike quiver. Love the Santa Cruz Chameleon and have read nothing but high praise about the Chameleon. Seems like a rock solid, fun Hardtail for tackling just about anything. It’s my number one choice right now, but have been also looking at the Marin Team Marin 2 as it’s a little cheaper but has a better fork, drivetrain, wheels, etc.

However, I really can’t find much about reviews on this bike. Anyone out there ride a Marin Team Marin 2? Or even the Team Marin 1? Geometry and frame specs seems similar to the Chameleon and bike seems like an absolute steal for the price for what you get.

Just trying to find some Marin riders out there who could give some insight on their experiences with a Marin Hardtail and if they enjoy the bike or not.

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Looking to add a new Hardtail to the bike quiver. Love the Santa Cruz Chameleon and have read nothing but high praise about the Chameleon. Seems like a rock solid, fun Hardtail for tackling just about anything. It’s my number one choice right now, but have been also looking at the Marin Team Marin 2 as it’s a little cheaper but has a better fork, drivetrain, wheels, etc.

However, I really can’t find much about reviews on this bike. Anyone out there ride a Marin Team Marin 2? Or even the Team Marin 1? Geometry and frame specs seems similar to the Chameleon and bike seems like an absolute steal for the price for what you get.

Just trying to find some Marin riders out there who could give some insight on their experiences with a Marin Hardtail and if they enjoy the bike or not.
The TM is more of an XC race bike than the chameleon. It has a long seat tube and higher stand over than more rowdy hard tails. I looked hard at this bike but ultimately for the reach I wanted I’d end up in a XL and have to run something like a 140mm travel dropper post. That just won’t do for getting low when needed. The new chameleon sounds great and I would go that way for sure 😁

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Honestly either probably serve you well seems like comparing to a 2021 or older Santa Cruz Chameleon. Really only 2 things I can think that probably dont matte much are the SC is going to better resale and if ever desire would have better resale. If your going to maybe upgrade parts over time or eventaully upgrade the bike go SC. If going to just ride as is the Marin is a great deal. I am assuming you can get either with supply chain issues. If finding one in stock is a issue just get what you can and ride the pizz out of it.

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
The new Chameleon has better geo. But the price makes it difficult.
The Marin Team 1 is the same price as a Ragley Big Al 1.0.
The Ragley has a much better fork than even the Team 2 or the Chameleon.
Wiggle is saying 2-4 weeks for a Ragley. Get on the email list at CRC.
Watch the review vid at Hardtail Party YT.

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Like I said, the TM is a XC bike. It might have slightly better geo, but it's a more upright bike with a lighter fork. If you really want to KOM and don't do anything chunky or spicy, great. If you want a real all around bike, go with something else. The 2022 Chameleon looks fantastic and worth the money. I agree Ragley's are great bikes, too, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.