Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Consensus is that this is Performance Bike inventory. I'd be rather surprised if it shipped from the UK.

However, there is a well-known Dutch airgun retailer that gets things to people in the US faster than most US retailers.

It's a great bike. Enjoy.

Also back up to 1800. Still a good deal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They went a long way to show it coming from the UK if it really wasn't. Gave me a whole DHL tracking number showing it going through customs and whatnot from Belfast UK to Ohio and then down here to the Miami area

·
Registered
61 Posts
At the time I purchased they had a banner saying something about them paying duty and custom fees.

Going from memory it was $1267 - $20 coupon code + $64 for shipping. $1311 Total. Bought last XL and it arrived Super Fast.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They are still duty free. The CRC website still has the banner stating that.
Not sure about Canada though, best to check.
Just be careful of your credit card company. Some may charge
a currency conversion fee to your purchase. (small charge)
There are a few youtube video's from a fellow in Arkansas that
has nothing but rave reviews for the Rift Zone and Hawk Hill.
Great prices from CRC on Marin and Felt mountain bkes.
I'll post a review when I receive mine. Just ordered it yesterday (06-18-19)
Don't forget $20.00 off purchase coupon code MID2019

·
Registered
7 Posts
My buddy just got his Rift Zone 2 last weekend from CRC, so I got to try it out for a bit. For $1300, I haven't seen a better bang for buck deal this year on a full suspension bike. Swapped to tubeless, 23 PSI in the front and 21 PSI in the rear, as soon as we got it and hit the trails. Pedals uphill great for being 32 lbs. This thing just wants to go FAST. Really nimble and composed out of turns. Just a really fun bike to have. Solid entry bike into full suspension from Marin.

I'm considering buying one for a loaner/back up bike.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Arguably, things for personal use are not subject to import duty in the US. As a practical matter, that's how it usually gets treated. But you can get whacked. The shipper will usually pay and then collect on delivery. I suppose that the seller can arrange to pay the shipper if you get whacked.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It's probably important to note that these bikes will not come with a warranty due to the way that CRC obtained them.

Apparently, CRC bought Performance's Marin inventory, for which Marin was not paid. A letter from Marin has been circulating on the matter, so if this is important to you, might be worth reaching out to Marin to verify:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestOfBikes/comments/c13770

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It's probably important to note that these bikes will not come with a warranty due to the way that CRC obtained them.

Apparently, CRC bought Performance's Marin inventory, for which Marin was not paid. A letter from Marin has been circulating on the matter, so if this is important to you, might be worth reaching out to Marin to verify:

That's definitely an important consideration. I hadn't seen that letter. Sucks to be Marin in this case, but I'm curious if the "Marin hasn't been paid for these bikes" is 100% true. You'd think that Marin would have received *some* distribution from the proceeds of the asset liquidation? Maybe not . . . depends on who was "first in line" among the creditors legal contracts/terms and nuance of bankruptcy law that I certainly don't understand. Best case (proportional distribution to creditors) Marin got 15-20 cents on the dollar of the $480k they were owed.

FWIW, here is the creditor list from a Bicycle Retailer article:

ASE's capital structure includes secured debts with First Lien Credit Facility ($37.9 million), Advance Holdings Loan ($7.4 million), Trade Creditor Loans ($37 million) and York Street Loans ($20 million), totaling $102 million.

Unsecured debts owed to trade suppliers include:

Active Cycle, China: $4.4 million
PT Insera, Indonesia: $3.3 million
Vista Outdoor: $1.77 million
Shanghai General Sports, China: $1.5 million
Mizuki International, Taiwan: $1.4 million
Todson: $548,000
Highway Two: $423,000
Marin: $480,000
Garmin: $290,000
Saris: $285,000
Elite: $264,000
Accell NA: $280,000
Aptos: $212,000
Louis Garneau: $204,000
Wahoo: $202,000
Pearl Izumi: $200,000
Eliptigo: $200,000
Lezyne: $198,000
Castelli: $196,000
J&B: $178,000
Vittoria: $159,000
Fox: $149,000
Clif Bar: $131,000
EN-R-G Food: $82,000
Team Tibco: $35,000
PeopleForBikes: $22,000
PinkBike: $11,000

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It's probably a bit of creative wording on their part, where they said they weren't paid by Performance for the bikes, it probably meant Performance was provided the bikes for sale with payment terms that were never fulfilled, while Performance was in business. I don't think it necessarily means they weren't paid as a part of the bankruptcy.

I obviously don't know much of the circumstances here and I'm not sure it really matters when it's ultimately the end consumer that gets screwed. I think either CRC and/or Marin should post that they won't be covered under warranty since CRC isn't an authorized dealer, so people know what they are getting into. Instead, CRC seems to be obscuring that and Marin is sending letters to their dealers saying that they won't cover them. Regardless, as usual, it's the end user that gets screwed.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
After more thought, I'd assume Marin was not paid a penny, since the asset auction only drew ~$21M and presumably the secured debt holders need to be paid in full before any unsecured debt is paid. So probably ALL of the bike industry "inventory" type debts were a total loss to the respective manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It's probably a bit of creative wording on their part, where they said they weren't paid by Performance for the bikes, it probably meant Performance was provided the bikes for sale with payment terms that were never fulfilled, while Performance was in business. I don't think it necessarily means they weren't paid as a part of the bankruptcy.

I obviously don't know much of the circumstances here and I'm not sure it really matters when it's ultimately the end consumer that gets screwed. I think either CRC and/or Marin should post that they won't be covered under warranty since CRC isn't an authorized dealer, so people know what they are getting into. Instead, CRC seems to be obscuring that and Marin is sending letters to their dealers saying that they won't cover them. Regardless, as usual, it's the end user that gets screwed.
I agree the origins of the debt aren't really relevant, I just thought they were interesting.

FWIW, I posted a question re warranty on the product page. We'll see if CRC gives a direct response to it.

I don't think its fair to say the end user is "screwed." They are getting a bike at a 35% discount. But certainly I think CRC should be more direct in noting that these bikes are not warrantied.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

not come with a manufacturer's warranty? or not come with any warranty? i thought CRC was giving warranty for at least first couple of years. No?
i think CRC should have stated any warranty caveats clearly to buyers. hope that they work something agreeable out with Marin.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a great way to lose customers if true. Because we chose your bikes over the Felts on sale at Chain Reaction you are not going to honor your warranty? Really? We were not warned beforehand. How many Marin bikes does CRC have? 40. Maybe 80 total? How many would need warranty work out of 80 bikes. 5%? Which would be about 4 bikes. How many out of those 4 do you lose as a customers if you deny them your warranty?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
How many Marin bikes does CRC have? 40. Maybe 80 total?
I'm sure they have WAY more units than that. Marin got stiffed for $480k. I would think that would be at least 500-1000 bikes, maybe >2X that, given the approx. msrp of the models we are seeing on CRC.

Simply counting the models/sizes/colors currently available on CRC, and assuming they only have one of each, will get you to more than 80 units.

Also, keep in mind that Marin is trying to balance the concerns of their dealer network with those of their customers. I have no doubt that there are some pissed off Marin dealers asking why the hell there a 2019 models for sale at 40% off msrp. Declining warranty work on this group of bikes is a small gesture to their dealer network.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
After more thought, I'd assume Marin was not paid a penny, since the asset auction only drew ~$21M and presumably the secured debt holders need to be paid in full before any unsecured debt is paid. So probably ALL of the bike industry "inventory" type debts were a total loss to the respective manufacturers.
Yeah, in situations like that, they most likely got nothing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.