Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new XL Marin Rift Zone 1 29er and have been having issues with the rear brakes. Whenever I apply a medium load to the rear brake the entire bike frame shudders/vibrates massively. I've tried replacing pads as well as the rear rotor and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've had a local shop take a look as well and they have no idea what is causing it. Have anyone here ever experienced anything like this?

Any tips would be awesome.

· Single Track Mind
1,054 Posts
IME, most cases of brake shudder stem from an alignment issue and/or sticky pistons. First, address the possibility of sticky pistons. Do a visual check to see that the pistons are extended equally. Then, slowly squeeze the lever while watching the pistons to verify that they each move and that they each move equidistance. If you find one or more are stuck, pull the wheel and pads and flush the area with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and dry with a rag. Then, address the pistons one-at-a-time by using a q-tip soaked in brake fluid (check manufacturer specs) to clean around the piston. Then, depress it into the body of the caliper while applying even pressure. Repeat this process for each piston. Now, make sure the caliper is square to the rotor. I am of the belief that misaligned calipers exacerbate sticky pistons, so double check that the caliper is centered over the rotor. Usually, this entails visually aligning the rotor with the center line of the caliper. Next, make sure the caliper sits square to the rotor. You want your pistons to hit straight on and not at an angle. Sometimes brake mounts on the frame have paint or other imperfections that need to be faced for this to happen.

Hope this helps. The bike is a series of interconnected systems, so a problem in one system, ie. pivots, can manifest as a noise, rattle, or other problem in another, ie drivetrain. Just take your time and pay attention to how each change affects the ride.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.