Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Marin Muirwood and was thinking about putting some drop bars on it. It'd be more like a cross bike and a little better for long commutes. Is it going to mess up the geometry of the frame or is that not going to be a problem. Also, would there be a problem keeping the trigger shifters mounted on the top of the bars? One final question: would road levers work with my v-brakes? That's the biggest question I guess. I'd like to convert but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
col200 said:
.... Also, would there be a problem keeping the trigger shifters mounted on the top of the bars? .....
Road bars are bigger than MTB bars. You'll need to auger out the trigger shifters. I did it to a set for one of my bikes a few years back so that the RF shifters are up near the stem and slightly offset to each other so the cables shoot across the center past each other. I used a lathe to machine the mounts out but a half round file, some patience, skill and holding your tongue in the correct part of your cheek will do nicely. File a bit, check for size and shape, file a bit more, check, repeat until it slips on.

And you'll need the Diacompe levers or those Travel Agent thingies. Road levers don't pull enough cable for V brakes. You can try but the setup is very critical with the shoe gaps needing to be paper thin and that leads to scuffing when the wheels flex or go the slightest bit out of true.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.