Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy with one of those Marin bikes in his garage. It''s a titanium frame with mantou forks on the front and back. I think its a manitou 3, but i can't recall.

Who knows about the Marin frames and what is there to know aboutr Manitou forks, 1, 2, 3, 4, ? Are there still parts available for elastomer forks? (all manitou were elastomer, right?)

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Lutarious said:
Who knows about the Marin frames and what is there to know aboutr Manitou forks, 1, 2, 3, 4, ? Are there still parts available for elastomer forks? (all manitou were elastomer, right?)
I can't help on the Marin part, but can with the Manitou forks.

Yes, the Manitou 1-4 were elastomer. The 3 and 4 are signifiantly easier to work on as the elastomer stack can be accessed through the tops of the fork without using special tools. The 1 and 2 require a super long allen wrench, and are not a lot of fun to work on.

The main issue is that the elastomers go bad with time. They should be soft and springy, but old ones are super hard and have the consistency of dried chewing gum. New ones appear on eBay from time to time. It was suggested that a skate board shop might carry elastomers, but I've not checked. If you can find the elastomers, the forks are easily rebuilt.

·
Person
775 Posts
I've been looking for one of those Marins...let me know if you decide not to get it.

Many years ago Pro Flex gave me advise on how to fix old dried elastomers. soak them in water, then microwave them. It was scarry the first time, but it does work. I will see if I can dig up any info on how long to 'cook' them for.

Has anyone else ever done this?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
its kinda like automatic weapons.... short controlled bursts.

20 seconds on high is fine, 40 is not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
marin

just bought a MARIN team 95 , aluminium .
from german e bay , dont know how it rides yet.
you can get mcu ( elastomers ) from CVI in the UK .just rebuilt a pair myself.
they were £20.00 about $40.00 per fork (not cheap but only place to get them i know of)
did get some off e bay US for about $6.00 ( cold weather type )
CVI http://www.cvi.co.uk/shocktherapy/index.html

·
Registered
260 Posts
Baulz said:
I've been looking for one of those Marins...let me know if you decide not to get it.

Has anyone else ever done this?
I do have one of the Marin/Manitou's--well actually I do not--buta friend does in his garage. Were all of the Marin/Manitous titanium frames? I thought his was aluminum.

Thanks!

OregonMTB
2 Ibis
1 Brodie
1 Landshark
1 Trek Carbon 9900 (future all carbon bike)

"I am always looking for Kooka stuff or anything ANODIZED ORANGE!!!!"

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used to have a Marin / Manitou bike. Mine was steel (one of the earlier models) Worked for a shop here in Michigan that carried Marin. Bikes were really cool for the time. Very simple but impossible to not bob when pedaling. If I remember right there was not much travel maybe 1.5" on the rear. I bent the downtube jumping a 6' woodchip pile. Check the pivots for the rear. They were a press in tube type shim. Special tool that Marin had to send us. I ended up cracking the swingarm by the bottom bracket pivot. You might try calling Marin direct. They had great customer service even after our shop closed they warrantied a frame for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.