Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
I'm building mine back up.

I was going to do a 2x9 rigid weight weenie xc bike, but now I'm thinking of a 100mm fork and some 2.4 tires.

Anyone done something similar with their XC-ish Marin hardtail?

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
brodie_rider said:
Yeah, it's great isn't it!
It's a nice, handmade frame. I've been concerned it might be too much of a XC bike for tough stuff, since it's so light, but it looks like you've got yours set up for similar XC to AM stuff.

What tire are you running in front? What width?

BTW, I have the original catalog page scanned if you'd like to see it. PM me 'cause I can't upload it here.

·
Hardtail Freak
196 Posts
rockhound said:
It's a nice, handmade frame. I've been concerned it might be too much of a XC bike for tough stuff, since it's so light, but it looks like you've got yours set up for similar XC to AM stuff.

What tire are you running in front? What width?

BTW, I have the original catalog page scanned if you'd like to see it. PM me 'cause I can't upload it here.
Whoa! It's handmade! I didn't know that! That's awesome. I had received it as a gift from a LBS mechanic. Yeah, I like the way mine is setup right now, a good balance of XC, enduro and AM. Front tire is a 2.35 Kenda SB8 DTC. PM me with the catalogue. I haven't had any complaints from the frame so far, and I'm not a light guy, 204lbs.

BTW - do you know what good chainstay protector would be good for this frame? I've tried running a conventional foam / velcro but it interfered with the rear derailleur cable, messing up my shifting.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Electrical tape? I don't have one on mine at the moment.

Yeah, this was the top of the line aluminum XC racing machine for that year (2000, not 2002, I believe). They had steel and ti, but maybe not that particular year.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
brodie_rider said:
You're probably right, I actually don't know what year my frame was made.
Since we have the exact same paint job as the 2000 model, I'm assuming it was built late in 1999 or 2000.

I wonder who welded these frames up? Did Marin do it themselves?

It says handmade in the USA with Columbus Altec 2+ Pro tubing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts