Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Death threats are stupid; totally counter-productive and uncalled for, even though I suspect they're hollow.

But DAMN... a guy who blogs against illegal mountain bike trails? What a lamestain.

And what's that he says about equestrians? Riiiiiigghhhtttttttt...... :thumbsup:

·
Go for a Ride
102 Posts
I read the article in the IJ this morning before heading to work. Yes, death threats are lame, but the people who made those threats may be getting a call from the Marin County Sheriff Department. This guy obviously feels like he is helping to protect the environment. The real bummer is that this is just drawing much more negative attention to mountain biking.

The most important thing to take from this is that his blog has links to forums from MTBR where people are discussing illegal trails. Posters beware.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Spelled with a z. Yo.

Favorite quote.

"However, the comments from the other mountain-biking forum came from posters whose profiles identified them as being 17- and 14-years-old. The ages of the commenters on Trail Killerz are unknown."

edit: the forum being cited is Pink Bike.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Ham Er Hed said:
Yes the quotes come from pink, but half way down his home page there are two links to MTBR forums.
Exactly. Which is why I go ballistic when people discuss poaching. Sigh.

Ahh well, the talkback section of the article is a good read.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
That thing is a joke. The guy got a handful of crappy biker hating posts on his crappy blog in the last year. No biggie. Nobody cares about that blog anyway, but the blogger has been trying desperately to get mentioned on the IJ for a while. Now that 2 idiots have made death threats, his wish has come true. I'm wondering if the guy made up the death threats just to get mentioned...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Well duh!

LucasValleyRider said:
Another mountain bikers vs. trail hikers article in the Thursday, July 3, edition of the Marin IJ:

http://www.marinij.com/ci_9771920
Receiving death threats on the internet for taking a stand on something (anything) is as common as getting offers from Nigerian Princes when you sell something on craigslist... especially considering his blog is on a worldwide kinda blogger site. It's not as if he created his own page for locals to see.

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
The article seems fair enough to both sides of the coin. I like the mention of Mt. Biking as a growing sport, and that trail access hasn't kept up with the demand of this user group. "Trailkillerz" though? That'z pretty lame.

I'm sure it's come up several times over the last few decades, but does anyone have stats regarding numbers of off-road cyclists (can't exclude the cyclo crowd) vs. the number of equestrians? Seems that this could be fairly accurately assessed for any given area. It'd be interesting (if not infuriating) to see these numbers compared to the numbers of trail-miles allowed to each user group.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
What really sucks about the whole thing is that the IJ ran it as a front cover with 3" type.

Slow new day, indeed.

The IJ is stirring the pot in order to boost sales. End of story.

·
Freetard.
670 Posts
What bugs me about this is that the people who made the threats were a bunch of tards on Pinkbike, who are in no position to actually carry out those threats. Additionally, they wont be feeling the anti-biker backlash that a front page article against mountain bikers will bring. Marin is screwed up enough already. Come on.

·
aka Manzanita Tom
88 Posts
What if a MTBer had posted up a blog about this, instead of an apparently non-rider? He reeled off a bunch of reasons why he was doing it, but didn't mention protecting the access we have now by policing it ourselves rather than having others go anti on us. Seems to me if we want to hang on to the access we've got we'd do well to police ourselves a bit. Or?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.