Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every mountain biker should know that this county holds the birthplace of mountain biking, Mt. Tamalpias. i live 5 mins from there and there is also places like Tamarancho and Tamalpias Water Shed(which goes under Brown Bridge and you can go to Tamarancho and end up on B-17 Extension) i want to know if a Scott Genius 50 2009 would be able to handle places like those and possibly some Northstar DH courses with proper suspension tuning. Thanks! - Sam (yes i was talking about my first DH bike but that might not happen for awhile due to budget reasons)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
As a local you should be able to spell TamalpAis. Just giving you a hard time!

You'd be good on that Scott. Sick bike.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,208 Posts
Dude, I put Lyrik on my Racer X and it rocked!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the Lyric can fit on a Scott. The reason i looked at the Scott / Lyric/ DHX air was because my friend has the '08 model with that stuff. he has the 20 though...

G

·
The Scott rear shock was designed specifically for that bike, so it would be worth
checking into weather a DHX will fit back there with out hitting the seat post
on a big drop. If DH/FR style stuff is your goal, I would get something that
out of the box is more suited to it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my goal is a good all mountain/LFR bike that can race. the '09 genius 50 has an uninterrupted seat tube so it won't hit the shock. I'm hoping that the Equalizer can handle light FR. will it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the 30 genius and it rocks everything in the area in which you speak. Cant talk about northstar, but have taken it to Pacifica down crack/mile/boyscout without any problems or bottoming out on some of the bigger drops. I weigh about 170 and do have some pedal drag issues with the bike.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It depends. At Northstar - do you want to just be able to make it down the trails or do you want to go fast?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gurp said:
It depends. At Northstar - do you want to just be able to make it down the trails or do you want to go fast?
i want to go fast but i don't want to hit any drops over 5 ft(super duper small) :band:

·
Registered
664 Posts
A 69 degree HA/non-20mm forked bike at Northstar is fine on the blue and black runs. However, due to the amount of boulder strewn technical riding on the double blacks, it's very hard to keep up speed for long without going down or slowing down due to how much physical exertion it takes. Someone above talked about riding the Crack. The difference is the Vista side double blacks are A) more technical and B) much longer.

It sounds like you're restricted to a quiver of one. I'd suggest finding an AM bike that comes with a 20mm fork and a slacker head angle.

I do all my Marin riding on a Giant Reign X (170mm travel, 67 deg HA). It's not the best choice for places like Tamarancho, but it's doable (I usually ride through Tamarancho to get to San Geronimo Ridge, rather then riding Tamarancho to ride Tamarancho). I've ridden it all over Northstar. It's not as fun as on my DH bike, but it's still enjoyable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts