Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.dropmachine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35206

From the link.

Come out to hear what Rouge Park is including for mountain biking in their Master Trails Plan.

I've met with them and Jason Murray @ IMBA on this and there are some good mtb things, like including a skills park.

But they need to hear more about moutain bikers wanting access to all trails and that those trails need to be managed properly and that mtbr's are willing to volunteer to help manage trails.

If you can't attend but would like to be heard please send your thoughs to TORBA via graham dot seaman at toronto-offroad dot org

Below is cut and paste from the PDF invite.

WHEN: Monday, March 7, 2011
TIME: 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Markham Museum, Transportation Room
9350 Hwy 48
(Markham Road at 16th Avenue)
Markham, ON

PUBLIC MEETING AGENDA
Open House: 5:00 - 6:30 p.m.
Presentation: 6:30 - 7:00 p.m.
Workshop: 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.

For further information on this project or if
you wish to be added to the study mailing
list, please contact:

Diana Smyth
Trail Coordinator, Rouge Park
50 Bloomington Road West,
Aurora, ON, L4G 0L8
Tel: 905.713.3184
Email: [email protected]

Markus Hillar, BLArch
Project Manager, SCHOLLEN & Company Inc.
220 Duncan Mill Road, Suite 109
Toronto, ON M3B 3J5
Tel: 416.441.3044
Email: [email protected]

Information will be collected and used in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and solely for the purpose
of assisting the Rouge Park Alliance in meeting planning requirements. This material will be maintained on file for use during the study and
may be included in project documentation. With the exception of personal information, all comments will become part of the public record.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
OK, stupid question wouldn't it make more sense to have the meeting in the same area that Rouge Park is in? they'd get better turn out if they held it at U of T scarborough campus or something?

Sounds to me like they are loadig the deck by holding the meeting out of area!
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was98strat said:
OK, stupid question wouldn't it make more sense to have the meeting in the same area that Rouge Park is in? they'd get better turn out if they held it at U of T scarborough campus or something?

Sounds to me like they are loadig the deck by holding the meeting out of area!
Sorry how this will sound but I'm very jaded in regards to Scarborough having seen how the areas near the Rouge are treated.

I suspect the Friends of the Rouge are seeking to engage the more affluent Markham residents. those who will actually care and have time to do this sort of stuff. Which is funny when you consider the people who will get no say.. The poorer people in Scarborough who get ignored yet have the best access to the valley system in Scarborough.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
640 Posts
was98strat said:
OK, stupid question wouldn't it make more sense to have the meeting in the same area that Rouge Park is in? they'd get better turn out if they held it at U of T scarborough campus or something?

Sounds to me like they are loadig the deck by holding the meeting out of area!
Sounds to me like a great question to bring up at the meeting. was98strat will you be there to ask it or do you want to ask it of a MTBR person so that you can make a closer meeting, sounds like there will be more. Or perhaps just post up some ideas that you have for your area.
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phat Tyred said:
Sounds to me like a great question to bring up at the meeting. was98strat will you be there to ask it or do you want to ask it of a MTBR person so that you can make a closer meeting, sounds like there will be more. Or perhaps just post up some ideas that you have for your area.
Keep in mind that there was an earlier meeting in November in regards to this. Jason Murray was in attendance as I recall.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
When someone extends a hand to you like this, I've learned that you do everything you can to jump in and say "thank you very much" no matter where they stick the meetings. It's really easy to sit back and say "poor me" but things can happen surprisingly quickly with just a little effort. If this matters to you, get out there and be heard! :thumbsup:
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
garage monster said:
When someone extends a hand to you like this, I've learned that you do everything you can to jump in and say "thank you very much" no matter where they stick the meetings. It's really easy to sit back and say "poor me" but things can happen surprisingly quickly with just a little effort. If this matters to you, get out there and be heard! :thumbsup:
This. Though it is also good to be wary as well in this. Listen to others as speaking as well. Who ever shows up keep in mind at all times that the Friend's of The Rouge and the Alliance are not our friend's. Alot of them have a history of being anti bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Yes I was in attendance, and will be for this one. On top of that I've been working the phones and pressing the flesh. I've met in person with Markham, the some people from the Rouge Alliance, and Mark Schollen (the owner of the consulting company doing the work). I've also have excellent phone conversations with people at York Region, Pickering, and Toronto. I've sent email to the Fed MP and Prov MPP who are involved as well.

It's time that a sport consider acceptable in Canadian National Parks be acceptable in one of Canada's largest urban parks as well. But we can only do that if we put bums in seats, respond to the plan, etc. and tell them that we want it, and are willing to work with them to make it successful.

I consider legitimate mountain biking in the Rouge a major success if we can pull it off.

PS The Rouge Park is much bigger than people realize. A huge part of it is in Markham. Holding the open house at the Museum makes a lot of sense. Much more central than at the Toronto Zoo operation offices on Old Finch.
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jmurray said:
It's time that a sport consider acceptable in Canadian National Parks be acceptable in one of Canada's largest urban parks as well. But we can only do that if we put bums in seats, respond to the plan, etc. and tell them that we want it, and are willing to work with them to make it successful.

I consider legitimate mountain biking in the Rouge a major success if we can pull it off.
Let us not forget that the Pan Ams will be 4 years. If I recall part of the deal with Olympics is that infrastructure is built for all. And considering mountain biking will be involved.
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In regards to trail work... here is an example of what to date is considered acceptable trail work in the Rouge.





Feel free to use these images if you like. The irony of these 2 pic's is that the material used - Pallets. Are exactly what would piss everyone off if mtbers built the same solution using the pallets.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
640 Posts
Enduramil said:
In regards to trail work... here is an example of what to date is considered acceptable trail work in the Rouge.





Feel free to use these images if you like. The irony of these 2 pic's is that the material used - Pallets. Are exactly what would piss everyone off if mtbers built the same solution using the pallets.
Try to smile, especially when you do not want to.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Enduramil said:
In regards to trail work... here is an example of what to date is considered acceptable trail work in the Rouge.
I suppose that's better than nothing... but not by much. Really, the fundamental problem with that trail is that it's in the wrong place. :skep:
 

·
Steady Creepin'
Joined
·
486 Posts
garage monster said:
I suppose that's better than nothing... but not by much. Really, the fundamental problem with that trail is that it's in the wrong place. :skep:
Unfortunately I think that is all too common in southern Ontario, often in places where walking trails became cycling trails. The sad part, speaking from what I've seen/heard locally is that some folks are all too quick to slap MTB'ers with the blame when major erosion issues become apparent, when really the damage is just a result of poor original trail location.
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LuMach said:
Unfortunately I think that is all too common in southern Ontario, often in places where walking trails became cycling trails. The sad part, speaking from what I've seen/heard locally is that some folks are all too quick to slap MTB'ers with the blame when major erosion issues become apparent, when really the damage is just a result of poor original trail location.
Some blame goers there. However equal blame goes to simple lack of trail maintenance. Without that being done all the time no trail no matter how well constructed is "sustainable".
 

·
Ms. Monster
Joined
·
1,812 Posts
Enduramil said:
Some blame goers there. However equal blame goes to simple lack of trail maintenance. Without that being done all the time no trail no matter how well constructed is "sustainable".
Yes.

Mountain bikers (especially the old crusty guys who were around at the "start") have this image of themselves as independent mavericks who hate the "man". Thus, they are unwilling to join clubs or work with bureaucratic landowners. However, they are doing themselves a real disservice, as their illegal poached trails are poorly built rats-nests that really piss off old ladies with loud voices. Who have a lot of influence with land owners.

In summary, join a club, do your bit and stop moaning. (not aimed at you, Enduramil)
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nerdgirl said:
Yes.

Mountain bikers (especially the old crusty guys who were around at the "start") have this image of themselves as independent mavericks who hate the "man". Thus, they are unwilling to join clubs or work with bureaucratic landowners. However, they are doing themselves a real disservice, as their illegal poached trails are poorly built rats-nests that really piss off old ladies with loud voices. Who have a lot of influence with land owners.

In summary, join a club, do your bit and stop moaning. (not aimed at you, Enduramil)
No worries Nerdgirl. I readily admit I'm highly allergic to bureaucratic BS.

Though to be fair... we need a mixture of both. You need the riders who meet with the powers that be. Some riders are better at that. While there are others who are far better at getting trail work done.
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I can I'll make the meeting no promises for that weekend.

That reminds me there is an area of the Rouge River Valley that needs pictures taken off. It's really a dumpsite for the residents.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Enduramil said:
If I can I'll make the meeting no promises for that weekend.

That reminds me there is an area of the Rouge River Valley that needs pictures taken off. It's really a dumpsite for the residents.
The "consulting" term for that is "encroachment" and if the consultants doing the work here are on their game, they already have lots and lots of pictures. :)
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
garage monster said:
The "consulting" term for that is "encroachment" and if the consultants doing the work here are on their game, they already have lots and lots of pictures. :)
Maybe so. But the first rule of combat is show up prepared. The consultants and other officials do not expect the voters to show up prepared.

So sure the consultants may have their material but J Murray should have the pic's as well.
 

·
Ms. Monster
Joined
·
1,812 Posts
Enduramil said:
Maybe so. But the first rule of combat is show up prepared. The consultants and other officials do not expect the voters to show up prepared.

So sure the consultants may have their material but J Murray should have the pic's as well.
Whoah whoah whoah! Combat? In our experience, coming in loaded for bear is not a productive approach. They're on the same team as you!
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top