Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions as where to ride these dates. Live in Boise and want to keep the drive under 10-12 hrs. Moab is top of list but that is also Jeep Week and don't know if that would present issues with riding and/or camping. So....

Other options are much appreciated. We're looking for intermediate to advanced type riding and are wanting to camp as well. Thoughts....
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
303 Posts
cryde said:
Looking for some suggestions as where to ride these dates. Live in Boise and want to keep the drive under 10-12 hrs. Moab is top of list but that is also Jeep Week and don't know if that would present issues with riding and/or camping. So....

Other options are much appreciated. We're looking for intermediate to advanced type riding and are wanting to camp as well. Thoughts....
Thanks in advance.
Primo time in Gooseberry/St George!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Well with 4 full days you could hit up:

Gooseberry.... easily spend a whole day up there and then some...
Little Creek.... better part of a day.. maybe a shuttle for a ride "down" the JEM at the end of the day for a smile that will last all night.
Rockville Bench and Guacamole - Guacamole is basically a "Gooseberry Lite" (You could do just Guacamole for a sort AM ride on your last day) then four hours or so in Zion Natl Park.... you're right at the entrance.
JEM, Hurricane Rim, Goulds loop - Starting at the "bottom of the JEM, this is a great day 24 miles or so with some good climbs and a rippin ride down teh JEM and along the Virgin River at the begenning and end... if you don't like exposure the first and last mile or so will pucker your ass.
Sidewinder/Barrel Roll/Rim Reaper, Rime/Rambler/Rim Rocker - this could be a full day and is a fun trail network. Do just part of it and then do ZEN or Bearclaw Poppy as an alternative
Bearclaw Poppy/ZEN - Nice ride
Prospector to Church Rocks loop - A nice out and back.. also a candidate for a short day five before you go ride home.

Plenty to keep you busy for a week!

Camping Options:
Goosebery - Primitive (They have one bathroom) free
Little Creek - Primitive free
Zion Natl Park - Fee
Sand Hollow State Park - Fee
Quail Hollow State Park - Fee
Mesquito Cove on Virgin River along SR9 between Virgin and Springdale - Primitive free
Virgin River RV Park in Virgin on SR9- Private Fee but super nice. Right on the river..pool, hot tub, premiuim... but IMO worth it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow... Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks STT.

Sounds like a winner to me plus we won't have to contend with all the jeeps and 4x4's. Now to get the rest of the crew on board and we'll be there. As for these trails, any maps available or suggestions on directions etc... I'm looking on utahmountainbiking.com and there is a ton of info there so should be ok just thought if there was a local map it might be handy. Also, suggestion for a bike shop in the area if we need anything?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Bike Shop: Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane are great folks. They sell a very nice trail map (BLM prints it IIRC) there as well and it's well worth the $10 or so.

The routes available on UtahMTB are good resources and every trail I mentioned is discussed.reviewed there as well.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Ridden Gooseberry, Little Creek and Zen. This IS world class riding. Another trail I'd suggest is Grafton Mesa off Gooseberry's northern edge, if you like a down hill, usually shuttled trail.
Personally I like this area better than Moab or anywhere else! I'm from Tucson.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts