Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a new 03 SL, nothing in the lit on how to adjust the comp/rebound and wahts up w/the - spring? it just says 0-160lb, I assume more - increases compliance? help please.

wayne

·
Registered
916 Posts
wayneosdias said:
just picked up a new 03 SL, nothing in the lit on how to adjust the comp/rebound and wahts up w/the - spring? it just says 0-160lb, I assume more - increases compliance? help please.

wayne
compressions pre set so can't touch that (different oil wieghts if you'd like). rebound is the five position cap on the right leg, it turns clock wise from full open to locked DOWN.

the SL has an air spring so you will need a suspension pump; it has positive chambers in both legs, the one on the right requires you to turn the rebound cap all the way counter clockwise and pry the little plug off. The cap on the right just unscrews. the off center airvalve is the positive, this doesn't require much pressure, I'm 210 and run about 55psi, put the same pressure in both legs. the left leg is the only one with a negative air chamber, this controls final stroke rebound and how active you want the fork, general rule of thumb is 2 to 3 times the presure in the positive chamber. thats it now roll!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check all the threads on Z1FRSL. It's the same tuning. I don't know about the pressures on the Mar vs. Z1. But the process is the same. I just went through an exhausting time. It turns out that lower pos pressures work best to keep the fork active. It allows me to run lower neg pressures to keep the rebound from being to snappy. Then make micro trail adj with the ECC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check all the threads on Z1FRSL. It's the same tuning. I don't know about the pressures on the Mar vs. Z1. But the process is the same. I just went through an exhausting time. It turns out that lower pos pressures work best to keep the fork active. It allows me to run lower neg pressures to keep the rebound from being to snappy. Then make micro trail adj with the ECC.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys

This is what happens when you impulse buy. I was buying a bike and was gonna get the marathon S for $300 but the shop didnt have it 105 so they offered me the SL for the same price. When i asked about the diff's he just said its air instead of coil, so I thought HSCV would be the same and grabbed it.

ya I already have the zoke lo pressure pump from my last zoke mxc, kinda unpratical tho that you need a high pressure pump for the (-) chamber as my lo pressure pump only goes up to 100 lb. it works out fine tho as I have a hi pressure pump for the fox propedal.
I weigh 170 and ran 35# both legs and 100 negative, seems pretty smooth but is brand new so ill have to screw w/it a little more. Also on all 3 chambers i get some air leak disconnecting the pump valve, Ive tried multiple times w/the new adapter and the adapter from my last fork, but still get some leak. I measure the pressure after nad its about 10# lighter than what I pumped. Is this the norm or should I look into new valves? The amount of loss is consistant between all 3 chmbers which makes me think its SOP.

so the ecc adjusts the speed of rebound as well as length of extension? ecc on my mxc just controlled extension length.

gonna give it a few trial rides and see whats up, thanks guys.

wayne

·
Registered
318 Posts
wayneosdias said:
thanks guys

This is what happens when you impulse buy. I was buying a bike and was gonna get the marathon S for $300 but the shop didnt have it 105 so they offered me the SL for the same price. When i asked about the diff's he just said its air instead of coil, so I thought HSCV would be the same and grabbed it.

ya I already have the zoke lo pressure pump from my last zoke mxc, kinda unpratical tho that you need a high pressure pump for the (-) chamber as my lo pressure pump only goes up to 100 lb. it works out fine tho as I have a hi pressure pump for the fox propedal.
I weigh 170 and ran 35# both legs and 100 negative, seems pretty smooth but is brand new so ill have to screw w/it a little more. Also on all 3 chambers i get some air leak disconnecting the pump valve, Ive tried multiple times w/the new adapter and the adapter from my last fork, but still get some leak. I measure the pressure after nad its about 10# lighter than what I pumped. Is this the norm or should I look into new valves? The amount of loss is consistant between all 3 chmbers which makes me think its SOP.

so the ecc adjusts the speed of rebound as well as length of extension? ecc on my mxc just controlled extension length.
The ECC simply is a rebound adjustment, and at max adjustment, completely shuts off rebound, which will essentially lock the fork in the down position.
You can pump your neg pressure to a higher level with your low pressure pump by locking the fork down and then pressurizing the neg chamber. Try 70-80 psi, which will give the equivalent of 110-120 psi when extended.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is good info

OLAK said:
The ECC simply is a rebound adjustment, and at max adjustment, completely shuts off rebound, which will essentially lock the fork in the down position.
You can pump your neg pressure to a higher level with your low pressure pump by locking the fork down and then pressurizing the neg chamber. Try 70-80 psi, which will give the equivalent of 110-120 psi when extended.
This is the first time I've heard someone mention setting the neg pressure with the fork locked down. Is everyone setting it that way? It does make a huge difference in revbound.

·
Registered
318 Posts
bjoneill said:
This is the first time I've heard someone mention setting the neg pressure with the fork locked down. Is everyone setting it that way? It does make a huge difference in revbound.
It will possibly not be as accurate, but neg. pressures were easily repeatable in my case using this technique. I used this method as I was getting some oil blow back when removing the pump, and it was minimized by using the lock down method

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
Don't presume you are losing air.

wayneosdias said:
Also on all 3 chambers i get some air leak disconnecting the pump valve, Ive tried multiple times w/the new adapter and the adapter from my last fork, but still get some leak. I measure the pressure after nad its about 10# lighter than what I pumped. Is this the norm or should I look into new valves? The amount of loss is consistant between all 3 chmbers which makes me think its SOP.

wayne
When you pressurize any one of your chambers, not only is there pressurized air in the chamber, but also in the adapter, the pump hose, and the gauge. When you unsrew the pump and adapter, as soon as the adapter comes off the the center pin of the Schrader valve, the chamber is sealed. Most of the air you hear is the air in the hose and gauge of the pump. Also, don't make the mistake of checking to see if you lost air by screwing the pump and adapter back on, because when you do, as soon as you depress the schrader valve, air from the chamber backfeeds into the hose and gauge of the pump. This will immediately drop the pressure in the chamber because it is very low volume.

Also, I would not heed the previous advice above regarding filling a chamber with the fork less than fully extended. Always pressurize all of the chambers with the fork fully extended. Compressing the fork changes the volume of the chambers, so whatever pressure you set it at would change drastically once you extended the fork.

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com

·
Registered
557 Posts
Chris2fur said:
When you pressurize any one of your chambers, not only is there pressurized air in the chamber, but also in the adapter, the pump hose, and the gauge. When you unsrew the pump and adapter, as soon as the adapter comes off the the center pin of the Schrader valve, the chamber is sealed. Most of the air you hear is the air in the hose and gauge of the pump. Also, don't make the mistake of checking to see if you lost air by screwing the pump and adapter back on, because when you do, as soon as you depress the schrader valve, air from the chamber backfeeds into the hose and gauge of the pump. This will immediately drop the pressure in the chamber because it is very low volume.

Also, I would not heed the previous advice above regarding filling a chamber with the fork less than fully extended. Always pressurize all of the chambers with the fork fully extended. Compressing the fork changes the volume of the chambers, so whatever pressure you set it at would change drastically once you extended the fork.

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com
Yeah, what he said..... Also, get one of our newer pumps with the 200psi gauge. It will makes things a lot easier.

Brian

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd rather have an accurate pump than an do all pump, I was told the lower psi pumps are more accurate and it sounds like accuracy is critical for this fork to work properly.

wayne

·
Registered
557 Posts
An accurate pump is important, but you also need to have enough gauge to get enough air in the fork accurately. Our 200psi pump is in 5psi incriments as opposed to most 300psi go with at least 10psi incriments.

Brian

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thnaks for your input Brian, you work for Zoke? If i recall you helped me w/a creaking mxc about 2 years ago. Ive got a 100psi w/2psi incriments and a 200psi pump w/10psi. its not such a pain in the ass, as i have 2 adaptors, 1 for each.

wayne

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.