Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about some issues I am having with my Marathon SL. After thinking about it a bit, maybe I am expecting too much from it. I have been riding a Vanilla R 125 for about 3 years now, and it is super plush and very nice. Granted, it is not a super-light XC fork, but it sure is sweet to ride. I recently acquired an 2004 SL and after a few rides am wondering if I should have gone with something different. It seems pretty harsh on the rebound, despite running lower than recommended pressure in the negative chamber, and it is a bit sticky at the top (got it used, so expect that it is broken in), which also has lower than recommended pressures in the positive chamber. I am starting to wonder if it is a air-spring thing, and the the SL is simply just not as plush as a coil fork and my expectations were out of line.

How much harsher is air compared to coil? What Marzocchi fork compares to the Vanilla R?

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
BikePharmer said:
It seems pretty harsh on the rebound, despite running lower than recommended pressure in the negative chamber
I have a '05 Marathon SL and a '04 Z1 SL. If it feels harsh on rebound try more pressure in the negative chamber. Try a little less positive pressure than recomended, and then about the same negative as recomended.

BikePharmer said:
it is a bit sticky at the top (got it used, so expect that it is broken in), which also has lower than recommended pressures in the positive chamber.
Both of them feel "sticky" if you lightly press on them after they have been topped out (sitting) for a while, but once you get through the frist few mm of travel and cycle the shock in its mid stroke there is no stickieness at all, and I have never noticed any stiction while riding. I really dont think it is really any harsher than a coil fork once you get over the little sticking at top out.

·
mtbr member
454 Posts
BikePharmer said:
I posted earlier about some issues I am having with my Marathon SL. After thinking about it a bit, maybe I am expecting too much from it. I have been riding a Vanilla R 125 for about 3 years now, and it is super plush and very nice. Granted, it is not a super-light XC fork, but it sure is sweet to ride. I recently acquired an 2004 SL and after a few rides am wondering if I should have gone with something different. It seems pretty harsh on the rebound, despite running lower than recommended pressure in the negative chamber, and it is a bit sticky at the top (got it used, so expect that it is broken in), which also has lower than recommended pressures in the positive chamber. I am starting to wonder if it is a air-spring thing, and the the SL is simply just not as plush as a coil fork and my expectations were out of line.

How much harsher is air compared to coil? What Marzocchi fork compares to the Vanilla R?
What is "harsh on the rebound"? That model has on-the-fly rebound adjust, doesn't it? Should be a great fork.

I can't say that my current air fork is harsher than my old coil fork. Entirely different models though. Have you lubed the tubes since you got it?

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
anden said:
What is "harsh on the rebound"? That model has on-the-fly rebound adjust, doesn't it? Should be a great fork.

I can't say that my current air fork is harsher than my old coil fork. Entirely different models though. Have you lubed the tubes since you got it?
It actually has a 5 position (super plush to lock-out) on-the-fly compression adjuster, rebound adjustment, negative (top-out cushion/ travel adjust), and three positive air chambers (two main springs + end of travel progressive)... sweet!

I assume by harsh rebound he means it is topping out (needs more negative air)? Or if it is too fast he jsut needs to turn the bling-bling gold knob :D

·
mtbr member
454 Posts
jp3d said:
It actually has a 5 position (super plush to lock-out) on-the-fly compression adjuster, rebound adjustment, negative (top-out cushion/ travel adjust), and three positive air chambers (two main springs + end of travel progressive)... sweet!
It's a 2004.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.