Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been covered, but I've searched the owners manual, the garmin site, and here at MTBR without a satisfactory conclusion. The question: Is it possible to upload the route mapped by my edge 305 onto a map and then to have that available on, say, a club website so others can see the route of the trail?

Maybe that's not clear, if so, let me know and I'll try to explain more. Thanks!

·
since 4/10/2009
30,900 Posts
Absolutely, you can do this. This goes a bit beyond what this particular forum covers most of the time, however. Folks usually talk about map designs over on the trailbuilding forum. Nowhere really addresses the mechanics of it because you can get an entire university degree in it (I'm working on a master's level minor in it, myself).

As far as the basics go, there are a few things you need:

GPS
Mapping software (often called GIS or geographic information systems software)
possibly another program to download/convert your GPS data into a file format easily used by your GIS program of choice.

Probably most simply, you would need a program like National Geographic Topo! with topo map data included already. This software package prints really well with coordinates in the margins, a declination adjustment, and grid markers so people could even use a compass to navigate the area and optionally an elevation profile.

Example:

You can get much more advanced and complicated, too.

This one is a work in progress (an old work in progress that never got completed). It's being made in ESRI's ArcGIS (a very expensive software package). In it are a combination of paved trails, gravel roads, wide trails, and singletrack. There is also raw GPS data and there are finalized files (raw GPS tracks are frequently inaccurate in places, so I like to collect multiple tracks of each trail in order to average for the best possible path).

Some people take their raw GPS data and stylize it in Adobe Illustrator. There are examples of that in the trailbuilding forum.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
You can do it with Trimble Outdoors. It does not display the fitness information if that is important, but you can embed maps that can be clicked to see more ride detail.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I have Delorme Topo 7 so I can probably upload the gps track there and cut a map. Looks like I'm going to spend some time in the trailbuilding forum!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
shockfinder said:
Thanks guys! I have Delorme Topo 7 so I can probably upload the gps track there and cut a map. Looks like I'm going to spend some time in the trailbuilding forum!
Come on over! I lurk more than I post, but click the "we do trails" link in my sig and see what I spend so much time doing besides work and ride. :thumbsup:

Heading out into the storm now for a trail work day planning session for our upcoming Super Bowl Sunday work day (I am the regional crew leader for that area).

·
since 4/10/2009
30,900 Posts
I guess the route you take depends on what you want to do. I like the idea of having multiple map formats available to people so they can use them how they like. Keep in mind if you use something like Trimble Outdoors to display .gpx data, you're better off using that for individual routes rather than the entire network (if your trail system is composed of more than just a basic loop or out & back). Most people will not be able to make use of a .gpx file of the entire trail network (track point limit among other troubles).

From what I've seen of Delorme's software, it doesn't print quite as nice as NG Topo! but you'll still be able to make maps. Keep in mind that folks who print them will be most likely to use 8x10 paper, so odd sizes and larger areas (like the ones I posted before) would best be tiled so people can actually see the details of the map. My big North Park map was a large format map I had printed at Kinko's for a planning meeting where people could draw on the map locations that needed maintenance or something. I think it was something like 20x30. As you can see, it would NOT work well printed as an 8x10. To print at that size, I'd need multiple tiles of different areas of the park.

Same with the NG Topo! map I showed. That one's not mine, but I did use it for trip planning for a backpacking trip. It could not print on 8x10 the way it is. To get it to do so, I'd have to edit it somewhat.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wouldn't bikely.com work too guys? Looks like you just upload GPX file and then you can add notes to parts of your route so people can take a "tour" of your route. Does Garmin Connect or the Garmin Software able to output the 305 data to GPX format or would you need some other software to get it to the right format before uploading to bikely.com

Not too familiar with this stuff :)

·
since 4/10/2009
30,900 Posts
trimble outdoors shows you geotagged photos, like the example above illustrates. this is good for illustrating the trail on a club's website. Plus, the code you get gives a link to download the .gpx file right from there. You don't have to click it and go to their homepage to download the data.

From what I've seen of other services, Trimble Outdoors works better with this sort of use in mind than most other gps file sharing websites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts