Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Garmin Edge 1000 that freezes the location on the map during rides.
  • SW Version: 15.50
  • Map: Openmtb on a Samsung 32 Evo microSD card, with only the midwest map enabled.

It's been doing this for a long time on various microSD cards, where my location freezes on the screen and might refresh 10 minutes later or if I stop and restart the ride.

It seems to be less glitchy for the couple rides after I do "Factory Reset" using the "Device Reset" menu.

Anecdotally also maybe less glitchy in the open versus the forest or when it's less cloudy?

Anecdotally also maybe less glitchy with less rides in my history?

Not knowing any better, it seems like the SW is off doing something with a higher priority than updating my screen?

Any ideas from the experts?

Thanks in advance.

· since 4/10/2009
37,135 Posts
I would also specifically look at the device's history and clear that out. Many Garmins have had difficulty with getting glitchy when the history starts getting full. Not sure what the threshold for that it, but it hasn't needed to be COMPLETELY full for this to happen.

I would also be looking at the size of the map area you're trying to display. I've always had smaller devices with less memory capacity, but I'm typically only displaying smaller map chunks at once. Try the smaller map segment on the memory card first, if you're going to look at trying it on the device's internal memory, also. That way, you could at least attempt to remove the memory card as a factor.

· Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also specifically look at the device's history and ... remove the memory card as a factor.
@Harold: Thanks for the hints.

I've been keeping my history clear and also moved my map from the SD card to the internal memory.

It's very strange. The recorded route is fine, but the map freezes. I think it's better than before, but

Now that I've been doing one of the trails from a different entrance for the winter, I've noticed that it's definitely happening in the same location. One particular spot is very consistent as the trail crosses a river.

Maybe I need a new image file...

· Registered
479 Posts
I had the same problem with my Garmin Etrex30.
When approaching a certain spot in a village in the Netherlands it frooze.
My wifes Edge810 did the same, on the same location.
Was resolved by removing the Openstreetmap and downloading a new map.

· Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same problem with my Garmin Etrex30.
When approaching a certain spot in a village in the Netherlands it frooze.
My wifes Edge810 did the same, on the same location.
Was resolved by removing the Openstreetmap and downloading a new map.
Thanks for that hint! (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.