Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i was riding there this weekend and while it doesn't look like the race course is marked yet in the direction it is going to be ridden, I think they marked it in the opposite direction with hazard markers on the tree which were longish rectangular reflective orange and black and white markers. It's possible they were marking the forward direction, but having ridden many of those trails both ways it seems like the flow would make sense in the direction that had those markers on the sides of the trees you couldn't see. I'm guessing they'll mark the other sides of the trees just before the race.

I didn't follow the signs to a tee, so I can't provide an accurate GPX file of the course, but you can get in there and check it out. I have a blog post about my weekend ride, and the two segments I highlighted (Tornado and Happy Fun Time) both had the markers on them making me think they are part of the course.
Mountain Mileage: Trail Review - Willowdale in Ipswich, MA

Hope it helps a little bit...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah - I finally called Riverside Cycles last week and they told me they keep the route secret. No one knows until the race.

I almost always ride it counter-clockwise! Gotta get out there and ride it clockwise this week.

I usually do the Blue-dot/Green-Dot and it's almost exclusively singletrack. However, I raced the course last year and can tell you they mix in a lot of the double-track.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed there are loops. Sport men go around twice. The top end riders get to go around four times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The red markers with the repflective tape was put up by a running group and I think they call it the Stonecat trail.

The race the first year went clockwise, last year counter clockwise and this year?

There are two pieces of single track that we have not ridden, bucket list and chevette/punisher connectors. The question is, which section is he going to add and when.

I have no idea what he is going to do. I have speculated but I guarentee he won't do what I am thinking.

I do not have the energy to pre ride this course the morning of so Sunday should be fun.

·
aka Gumbo
75 Posts
I'm looking forward to this race - weather looks great and I am racing sport, so the 9:30 am start should be before the day gets too hot. I have never ridden at Willowdale but hear it is a fun spot to ride. Getting to new locations is one part of racing that appeals to me. I figure I will start mid to back pack (in 50+). This means losing time early on the singletrack but lets me get my heart rate under control and lets me learn the course. Then hopefully I can hammer the second lap and pass some people. This is my first real year of racing, having just done a few over the years. Finished mid-pack at Massasoit a few weeks back and was pleased with that result.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'll be racing (50+) for the first time there too. Looking forward to a nice day, and hopefully not as dusty as Massasoit was.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I went to the race that started at 12. It was realy cool and the place looks like an awesome place to ride.

I took a bunch of pictures.

If you were in the race that started at 12 I might have a picture of you.

Here are a couple.
bike race 1.JPG

bike race 2.jpg

bike race 3.jpg

bike race 4.JPG

bike race 5.JPG

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I raced sport men vet 40-49. Finished 35th with 1:44:58. We went around twice. Fast course. A bit deceiving in that the first half was mostly double track. No sustained climbs and only a few log crossings. Overall - a very nice route - especially for speedsters.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
aka Gumbo
75 Posts
Results will also be on EFTA Eastern Fat Tire Association - Home. I don't know how quickly they post but the results for the Root 66 race took 2 or 3 days to be posted, hopefully this will be quicker. Dirtyjack what category did you race in Masters? I placed 8th out of 26 Sport Masters and was pleased with that result. This was another very fast, not very technical course but certainly fun riding. Nice day all around!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts