Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a little encounter the other morning on a local trail, there was a group of riders stopped around a blind corner having some kind of group meeting right in the middle of a nice single track trail. WOW good thing I smelled cigarette smoke and decided to come to a crawl otherwise could have been near fatal..... :madmax:

·
livin' large
534 Posts
got a bell on my trail bike, and I use it going around blind corners and alerting people I'm coming (handy on a rail trail i ride on, to get to and from, some much more interesting singletrack)

As far as others on the trail it's an epidemic amongst riders, the worst offenders I've happened across are the racers I inadverntaly met at Kelso before the O-cup this year. I was nearly run off the trail twice when climbing up by descending racers practicing for the next day. And the passing techniques used by these jokers! all elbows!.

I can excuse the newer folks who have no clue as to proper trail manners but the elite racers who are apparently sponsored (matching kit with logos galore) come on!

·
Registered
487 Posts
RatchAttack said:
Yeah I never did understand why someone would ever stop in the middle of the trail for a chit chat, pisses me off too man.

Its about time for one of these!
http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1
Thats sure to give them the hint ;)
I've got one on my townie bike, they are LOUD!
Had one of the originals, they are great and will make anyone jump.
I don't mind the dogs off leash, I prefer it to the thin leashes that go across the trail and you can see at the last minute.
KIN

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
canadian-clydesdale said:
got a bell on my trail bike, and I use it going around blind corners and alerting people I'm coming (handy on a rail trail i ride on, to get to and from, some much more interesting singletrack)

As far as others on the trail it's an epidemic amongst riders, the worst offenders I've happened across are the racers I inadverntaly met at Kelso before the O-cup this year. I was nearly run off the trail twice when climbing up by descending racers practicing for the next day. And the passing techniques used by these jokers! all elbows!.

I can excuse the newer folks who have no clue as to proper trail manners but the elite racers who are apparently sponsored (matching kit with logos galore) come on!
Yes, you have a point, but in the defense of these "Racers", Kelso is a poor example of running into other riders on course going "whatever" direction a pre-ride may take them. This is an inherent problem with this place to start with. All of the trails go both ways if you like and there isn't enough distance there to potentially get away from other riders.

I hear you with potential accidents there as I have on a couple occasions been slamming down Lora's Run, Quarry, or Rock Garden, all high speed trails, only to come around a corner to avoid an on-coming rider. With Kelso, this is a trail management issue, not a problem with the "racers" you have mentioned...

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
It seems the point was missed. Whether the group in question was on a blind corner or not, that just added to the problem. The problem is quite simple really. That problem being the groups failure to move to the sides of the trail while stopped. Not being in the middle of the trail.

This seems to have become quite a common problem whether it be individuals or groups.

·
Registered
110 Posts
paulster2626 said:
I farted on the trail the other day - is that bad?
Now that depends...was anyone behind you?...did you fart in the middle of the trail or off to the side?...and did you fart LOUD enough so that if you happned to be around a blind corner, approaching riders could hear you?:eekster: :eek: :eekster:

BTW - I'm a strong believer that riders should always make an effort to stay off to the side when stopping (for any reason) for etiquette and definitely for safety reasons. I also don't hesitate to remind anyone I'm riding with if they happen to forget.

·
Registered
487 Posts
paulster2626 said:
LOL I had this issue at SS 24, I had someone that was trying to pass and farted, said sorry, he said its ok, I will pass when I can. He thought I meant because I was holding him up.
KIN

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
In defense of those "sponsored racers", if you ride trails the day(s) before the O-Cup race, at least go along the race course direction to avoid this problem.

I also encountered several riders that were going in the "wrong direction" during my Kelso pre-ride and was completely surprised. I had no idea that Kelso trails are bi-directional. Good thing I kept my mouth shut and did not make a fuss. :)

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
paulster2626 said:
It's ok if you're riding a full suspension, as I believe the rear shock absorbs a lot of the sound. A hardtail fart on the other hand would echo through the woods, making it very rude and inconsiderate to other riders.

·
livin' large
534 Posts
to clarify my position regarding Kelso, I wasn't told at the gate there was pre riding for a race, i just coughed up 7 bucks and went for a ride from the top gate which I prefer. The route I take from the top seemed to be occaisonally in reverse of the race course. If i wanted constant advice on what direction to go I would go for a drive with the wife!

My Issue was not of the speedy go faster folks ripping around but the not giving way to a rider coming up when they were descending. I always stop or yield for the uphill rider as I believe the rider coming up has the right of way (it's easier to restart a descent compared to a climb),

As far as passing techniques a simple "on your left/right",or "can I pass" ,would be a nice touch rather than a sprint past with elbows a' flailin accompanied with the stink eye for having the audacity to be a speed bump on the way to fame and glory of a victory in the pre-ride race with your own badass self.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
Are you sure it was cigarette smoke? Maybe it was the MaryJane doing the trail thinking for the group.

Yeah, its not good stopping on the middle of the trail. I always move over to the side. Ipods can be just as bad, in the wrong hands.

·
Keep pedaling...
281 Posts
canadian-clydesdale said:
to clarify my position regarding Kelso, I wasn't told at the gate there was pre riding for a race, i just coughed up 7 bucks and went for a ride from the top gate which I prefer. The route I take from the top seemed to be occaisonally in reverse of the race course. If i wanted constant advice on what direction to go I would go for a drive with the wife!

My Issue was not of the speedy go faster folks ripping around but the not giving, way to a rider coming up when they were descending. I always stop or yield for the uphill rider as I believe the rider coming up has the right of way (it's easier to restart a descent compared to a climb),

As far as passing techniques a simple "on your left/right",or "can I pass" ,would be a nice touch rather than a sprint past with elbows a' flailin accompanied with the stink eye for having the audacity to be a speed bump on the way to fame and glory of a victory in the pre-ride race with your own badass self.
I agree - if it's a huge problem at Kelso (where I find the trails to be wide enough to accommodate two riders headed in either direction) they should get some better marked trails and have some of the trickier ones be in one direction only.
Although most trails at Hilton Falls are supposed to be one-way but nobody seems to care...

It's like skiing - same rules sort of apply (downhill person has right of way, stop to the side etc.) but there will ALWAYS be douches around who don't know their head from their *******. You just need to ignore them and have fun yourself! Yeah it's hard, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Unless there are arrows at every intersection who is to decide which direction to go in?
Even in Durham where I do most my riding I've ridden the trails one way, and than done it "backwards" to my normal with other groups and discovered "backwards" was more fun.

I come to an intersection, look around and pick a direction.

Also Paulster says downhill has right away, others have said uphill. So which is it?

There are some douches, but its not as clear as some may think...

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
One way only trails are a big reason the WCC Trails (Hydrocut) are my favourite around – even when busy with lots of riders there it does not feel crowded. Intersections are well marked, and it works very well, and all the lines are nice and worn in going that way :)

On the other hand riding trails in reverse of their usual direction can be fun – the Boler O-Cup was way more fun to me than the usual direction at Boler, but I feel that this must be done only when the course is closed and not at the same time as the usual direction. Two directions and singletrack don’t mix!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.