Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode up Sullivan Canyon in LA for the first time in a long time yesterday (normally I just ride down it). Came away from the ride thinking I am way too courteous. I don't think a single person yielded right away to me as I was climbing. A couple people were stopped as a I came up to them and then started. Very perplexing. I stopped for some trail runners and they couldn't believe it. As they ran by they said "whoa you're the first one to stop for us".

If you are going downhill, please yield to those climbing.

·
Registered
817 Posts
word

sullivan canyon is the worst for that on the weekends.

and generally one of the worst trails for finding riders that are completely unaware of customary trail etiquette. Probably because it's the place that a lot of local new riders hear about and ride, but are never taught anything about yielding to other users, courtesy, and how the image of riders to other users can affect access to not only that trail but future ones, etc. I'd hate to see trail access issues rise up there.

If you're going to ride down the canyon on the weekends you have to realize you just can't bomb it. I've seen guys with full pads on there bombing it midday sunday when it's packed with people, I think that trail's way too tame and crowded to even think about armor. I've also had people there try to "educate" me that downhill riders have the right of way when I'm climbing the steep narrows at the back of the cyn :madman: .

Si hi to hikers, slow down around them, stop when you should, thank them if they step to the side for you, and yield to the climbers .

·
always learning
539 Posts
I was with Nagaredama yesterday and was amazed as well. Not only did they not stop but most riders didn't even say a word as they went by. We usually go up Westridge and down Sully but always stop and move off the trail for oncoming riders and hikers. I do throw on my knee pads for the decent but I wear knee pads way more often than most people anyway. I always have a bear bell on my bike going down the canyon so even if I can't see someone around a blind turn they can hopefully hear me coming.
I think I might have to add some guerilla signage in the canyon...:D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You'd think that it's common sense to yield trail to someone coming up - alot easier to take off again if you're going down.
I wouldn't assume that people who wear armor are bombing down any harder than other people though. I don't know that particular trail (he he I've never been to the country!) but I know that I wear knee shins even on my xc rides.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Try to get a "hello", "Hi", or even a nod from anyone, biker or hiker, anyplace in the SM's. I've been riding there since the early 80's and can tell you that, just like in the rest of LA, people are more and more rude, and less and less likely to even make eye contact with you. I get such a kick out of coming across other riders (especially) or hikers that completely ignore an obvious and well heard "hello". Sooooo funny. Like the are riding the race of their lives, deep in concentration, dreaming of the podium.

Welcome to Los Angeles. Try not to be involved in a car to car shooting on the way home from your ride.

<< end rant >>

·
always learning
539 Posts
energetix said:
You'd think that it's common sense to yield trail to someone coming up - alot easier to take off again if you're going down.
It seems to be the mentality of "don't ruin my ride." Selfish people shouldn't use communal trails.

energetix said:
I wouldn't assume that people who wear armor are bombing down any harder than other people though. I don't know that particular trail (he he I've never been to the country!) but I know that I wear knee shins even on my xc rides.
Very, very true. For the record, there were some singlespeeders that smoked us yesterday and were wearing nothing but Lycra. I'm known to pad up for rides that many others don't. I don't feel restricted by my armor at all and would spend the day after a fall riding instead of healing :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I say kill them with kindness. Say Hi to everyone and stop for everyone, especially if you are riding with a group. It gets everyone else in the group to do the same. It works.

(I'm not a native, but I've been living in the OC for over 30 years.)

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tgreathead said:
Very, very true. For the record, there were some singlespeeders that smoked us yesterday and were wearing nothing but Lycra. I'm known to pad up for rides that many others don't. I don't feel restricted by my armor at all and would spend the day after a fall riding instead of healing :)
Those XC guys were fast! After about my 5th stop for people pedaling up, I turned around and see them stopped too. Figured I would let them go ahead of me. TGreathead decides it would be a good time to put his bell. I figure there are 4 of them, let them break the wind since I don't have a bell with me. Figured I would be passing them pretty quickly since I was on my 575 and they on SS or XC hardtails. NOT! Those guys rocked.

Overall still a good ride regardless of people's manner. Ironic thing is I stopped for some guys coming up who didn't do the same for me.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy aka Rut said:
I say kill them with kindness. Say Hi to everyone and stop for everyone, especially if you are riding with a group. It gets everyone else in the group to do the same. It works.

(I'm not a native, but I've been living in the OC for over 30 years.)
Word to that!

Everytime I shuttle Wilson I always stop and say hello to the hikers. I've only had one person give me attitude because I was biking. Same thing when I joined The Path guys in SB.

·
always learning
539 Posts
Nagaredama said:
Everytime I shuttle Wilson I always stop and say hello to the hikers. I've only had one person give me attitude because I was biking. Same thing when I joined The Path guys in SB.
I was with Nagaredama at Wilson for the best hiker ever. He started giving us all this **** about ruining the trails when 'all bikers' skid their wheels to stop. I explained that I use mostly my front brake and rarely skid my wheels. We noticed he had gators on his shoes. He informed us he was running off trail!! We didn't even bother to reply as he galloped away stomping through bushes.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
At least you guys don't have the SB wacko yuppies down there. I'm referring in particular to the buttmonkey who was hiking with two poles and had his baby in his backpack (retrofitted for said baby) and his wife and decided to come to a standstill in the middle of the trail to stare me down as I was stopping for him (was already stopping anyway). Once I was stopped he decided to lecture me on how we were the only people that day wearing bells on that trail and let me know just how narrow the trail was. Funny thing was that the part of the trail we were on was not all that narrow and was in the middle of a fairly clear grassy meadow where they could have easily sidestepped.

Then there was the lady who insisted on lecturing us on how we shouldn't be riding on weekends or on narrow trails at all. Said ho also was hiking with two poles unnecessarily. At least she wasn't wearing a helmet like some of the old codgers we see trying to crawl up the trails.

Then there was the sandiest vag ever - the crazed old hag with more plastic surgery than Michael Jackson who parked in the landing of a drop that we were photographing when it was perfectly clear that we were doing something there and 5 other parking spots were nearby and closer to the trailhead. Said sandy vag got out of her car, starting yelling and screaming about bikers tearing up the trails for their horses (I don't get it either), claimed we wanted to take advantage of her up in the mountains, said she had a private mountain biking trail that we in particular were not allowed on and started ranting about men being the biggest problem in the world. After I finished laughing which took a while, then I tore into her as she left to hike DOWN A FIRE ROAD WITH TWO HIKING POLES A FRIGGIN HELMET...crying to herself and her dog. Amazing.

With all the nutcases in the area, there are actually a lot of really cool hikers who are always in support of us riding and will shoot the **** with you on the trail when you stop for them. More than a few times people have taken pictures of us riding or will ask us to ride a section again so they can get shots or ask if they can check out the bikes and so on. Many of the ones we encounter on the trail will move when they see (or hear) us coming and wave us on through and encourage us to go full bore. As with the riders there are always a few bad apples, but they usually present a good story with the encounter.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Yesterday I was coming down Romero, and it was remarkably pleasant. Smiles all around. People appreciated the bell. They stepped out of the way when they heard me coming. The other side of it was that I made sure to slow down, say hi, give them the right-of-way if there was a place to pull off or thank them for moving over. Unfortunately, I don't see people being that decent on the front side trails enough.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
The trail is very tame, and the only way to truly enjoy it is to ride it at warp 10, that's why riding sullivan on weekday mornings is definitely the best, you can hit all the fun lines at speed without worrying about running over small dogs and children

on weekends descending the canyon is a waste of a downhill ride

·
Registered
816 Posts
El Salt said:
Try to get a "hello", "Hi", or even a nod from anyone, biker or hiker, anyplace in the SM's. I've been riding there since the early 80's and can tell you that, just like in the rest of LA, people are more and more rude, and less and less likely to even make eye contact with you. I get such a kick out of coming across other riders (especially) or hikers that completely ignore an obvious and well heard "hello". Sooooo funny. Like the are riding the race of their lives, deep in concentration, dreaming of the podium.
I usually ride in the western SMs, and there seems to be a clear connection between how many people there are and how friendly they are, just like cities in general. I'm used to most people being pretty friendly where I usually ride, at least saying hi. In contrast, everytime I ride Sullivan or Westridge I'm taken with how unfriendly everyone is. I guess it's just so much work to be friendly to so many people, they stop trying! You'd think the folks who made the effort to get out on the dirt would feel more like a community and relate to others out there, but it's really just an extension of their city manners (or lack thereof).

·
always learning
539 Posts
agoura_biker said:
I usually ride in the western SMs, and there seems to be a clear connection between how many people there are and how friendly they are, just like cities in general. I'm used to most people being pretty friendly where I usually ride, at least saying hi. In contrast, everytime I ride Sullivan or Westridge I'm taken with how unfriendly everyone is. I guess it's just so much work to be friendly to so many people, they stop trying! You'd think the folks who made the effort to get out on the dirt would feel more like a community and relate to others out there, but it's really just an extension of their city manners (or lack thereof).
Its funny, of all the times I've ridden in the SM's this is actually the first time I've felt an unfriendly vibe. However it was the first time in a while I've ridden up Sullivan. I still chatted up with another rider during a break so I guess not everyone's bad.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Nagaredama said:
If you are going downhill, please yield to those climbing.
What some people need to understand is that it's perfectly safe and okay to pass each other at a reduced speed. Way to many people panic and create a worse situation, believe it or not I can pass somebody going the opposite direction without killing them.......no, seriously, it's possible, just hold your line coming up and I'll adjust mine and ride around, viola. I often wonder if people who are so easily spooked should be on a MTB at all.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.