Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out...

I have a friend who showed me a fork from Manitou that weighed 2.75 pounds. It had 100mm of travel with 30mm stanchions. My friend has been riding the fork for awhile and he says it's awesome and it's plenty stiff.

Apparently Manitou is coming out with some new high performance forks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not an R7.

I guess they have two new fork families for 2008.

One has 30mm stanchions and comes in 80 & 100mm with weights of 2.70 & 2.75 pounds respectively. The other fork has 32mm stanchions and comes in 100 & 130mm with weights of 3.10 & 3.15 pounds respectively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He took his fork apart to "check it out" and all the parts were machined Aluminum. No plastic!
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
MajorPain said:
He took his fork apart to "check it out" and all the parts were machined Aluminum. No plastic!
sounds promising. maybe i'll get a new fork in 2008 :p would probably save me ~2lbs over my EXR.
 

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
okay, let's say it is 2.75 now...by the time it gets hacked up in China, it will be 3.0 pounds easily. If you remember, the R7's were supposed to be under 3 pounds too. Never happened.

I don't doubt the big M has some new ideas coming. Being bought out by a company with some cash usually translates to some new products. 2007 is a re-hash of 2008.

Maybe, just maybe, they can go back to regular front arches again. I just think it looks stupid having them in back. Just my opinion of course.
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,939 Posts
Rear arches are done for a valid reason. Tire clearance and stiffness. Pace uses them also and has used them for a lot longer than Manitou.
 

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
I'm not debating their usefullness, I'm saying I don't like the way it looks. I'm a V-brake user, and it really makes the brakes sit out and look weird. Pace does it, the old Halversons did it back in the day. I'm old school, and like my arches on front, that's all I'm saying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
DeeEight said:
Rear arches are done for a valid reason. Tire clearance and stiffness. Pace uses them also and has used them for a lot longer than Manitou.
Tyre clearance? I'm not sure how that is, my Fox has more clearance than my Manitou by a long shot. One of my problems with the reverse arch system is that it puts the arch closer to the tyre which can be a problem in muddy conditions.
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,939 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
I'm not debating their usefullness, I'm saying I don't like the way it looks. I'm a V-brake user, and it really makes the brakes sit out and look weird. Pace does it, the old Halversons did it back in the day. I'm old school, and like my arches on front, that's all I'm saying.
Halson didn't have reverse arches... they had front arches with slotted stanchions, which corresponded with the brace mounting bolts (the brace was attached to the lowers, but being inverted forks, needed some way to travel up and down as the sliders compressed).
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,939 Posts
Eddie3dfx said:
I believe the manitou mars is manitous lightest fork and thats been out for a long time. It's not 2.75lbs though, so I'm not sure what fork you are referring to.
As has been covered already if you'd bother to READ the thread, they're new 2008 model forks which selected product managers already have samples for testing.
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,939 Posts
Some Guy said:
Tyre clearance? I'm not sure how that is, my Fox has more clearance than my Manitou by a long shot. One of my problems with the reverse arch system is that it puts the arch closer to the tyre which can be a problem in muddy conditions.
That has nothing to do with the arch being front or back, it has to do with you're comparing a fox to a manitou. Different brands design their fork models for different tire sizes. But with manitou, when they went from front to reverse arches, they did so because for an equal amount of magnesium in the castings, they got better stiffness and more tire clearance into the fork.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top