Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2006 Manitou started using what they call "Intrinsic Damping" in some of their forks. Now they have it in some of their rear shocks. There is no information on this particular technology on their website. Does anyone have a grasp of how it works and what it does?

Ronnie.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Okay the Intrinsic system is pretty much.....

a TPC system with one addition, either a spring backed independent floating valve or an air backed independent floating valve in the system. What it is supposed to do, from my understanding, is increase the range of damping adjustment and help prevent foaming of the oil (not a bad thing), give you an adjustable bottom out cushion (even with the compression damping set to 0), and decrease brake dive. The spring backed system is only adjustable through spring replacement. The air backed valve is adjustable through a set psi range with a low pressure shock pump, both independent of the fixed damper. It is basically a free floating valve mounted on the damper shaft that has free movement up and down the shaft (not permanently fixed to the shaft like the main valve). It's resistance is constant and fairly low, but the increase in air pressure or spring rate that it is backed by determines how forcefully it is pressed into the oil during the compression stroke. So being independent of the fixed damper it acts on it's own and constantly. Of course it doesn't have the same range as the the fixed damper and is designed to work in unison with it. But it's supposed to give you a wider range of tunning for long travel and big hit forks. In theory with the Intrinsic set properly you should be able to have all the benefits of a highly active long travel fork without the tendency to bottom out on bigger hits.

That's what I've been able to learn. There may be other features or benefits that I am not aware of. And this is pretty much what I've been "told" so it may not be totally accurate. You are right there isn't anything about it for the most part on the Answer website, so who knows. I haven't had the oportunity to tear into one or ride a fork with the Intrinsic system yet, so I can't be absolutely positive, or commnent on whether or not it works. So take the foregoing info for what it's worth! :D

Good Dirt

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Great explaination

Squash said:
a TPC system with one addition, either a spring backed independent floating valve or an air backed independent floating valve in the system. What it is supposed to do, from my understanding, is increase the range of damping adjustment and help prevent foaming of the oil (not a bad thing), give you an adjustable bottom out cushion (even with the compression damping set to 0), and decrease brake dive. The spring backed system is only adjustable through spring replacement. The air backed valve is adjustable through a set psi range with a low pressure shock pump, both independent of the fixed damper. It is basically a free floating valve mounted on the damper shaft that has free movement up and down the shaft (not permanently fixed to the shaft like the main valve). It's resistance is constant and fairly low, but the increase in air pressure or spring rate that it is backed by determines how forcefully it is pressed into the oil during the compression stroke. So being independent of the fixed damper it acts on it's own and constantly. Of course it doesn't have the same range as the the fixed damper and is designed to work in unison with it. But it's supposed to give you a wider range of tunning for long travel and big hit forks. In theory with the Intrinsic set properly you should be able to have all the benefits of a highly active long travel fork without the tendency to bottom out on bigger hits.

That's what I've been able to learn. There may be other features or benefits that I am not aware of. And this is pretty much what I've been "told" so it may not be totally accurate. You are right there isn't anything about it for the most part on the Answer website, so who knows. I haven't had the oportunity to tear into one or ride a fork with the Intrinsic system yet, so I can't be absolutely positive, or commnent on whether or not it works. So take the foregoing info for what it's worth! :D

Good Dirt
I don't think I've ever read as comprehensive a reply to someone's question on any forum. Guy wants answers, you deliver. Great job.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you say it prevents foaming of the oil, Why would I be led to believe that standard TPC doesn't prevent this? Using my simple judgement, Im led to believe that foaming of the oil is not good which must only mean that its bad or green. In that situation, the word "bad" makes much more sense. (Once again using my judgement and advanced opposites comprehension skills.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.