Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the difference between these forks. They seem so similar. I can't figure out why one fork manufacturer would produce both--unless there is a diff I don't know about.

Both are single crown, coil sprung, TA, disc only, travel adjustable, 1 1/8 steerer, equal travel (145mm and 150mm) forks.

Nixon Elite has aluminum steerer and Firefly Plus has steel steerer. Nixon Elite is claimed to be 4.4lbs and Firefly Plus is cliamed to be 5.0lbs.

These are the descriptions I have seen:

Nixon Elite

The Manitou Nixon family is NEW for 2005. This fork is designed for Trail / Enduro riding, to provide new levels of high performance and high value. Features include 32mm stanchions, rapid travel wind down, TPC compression damping and Manitou new magnesium RA casting for ultimate stiffness without extra weight.

Weight: 4.4 lbs
Travel: 115-145mm Rapid Travel Wind Down (RTWD)
Damping: TPC Compression Damping
Adjustments: Rebound, compression, travel
Lubrication: Semi-bath / Evil Genius seals
Spring: Coil
Casting: New Magnesium RA
Stanchions: 32mm Alluminium
Steerer: Black Aluminum
Color: Black

Firefly Plus

If your cup of tea is sweetened with a little less travel than the Breakout, but you still savor the aroma of the lightest, best performing freeride fork on the market, the Firefly will lull you to rest with a bag full o’features such as SPV damping and a Ti main spring. Upgrade options include a onepointfive inch steerer and our Hex Lock Thru-axle.

Weight: 5.0 lbs
Travel: 110/150mm Rapid Travel 2
Damping: SPC EVOLVE
Adjustments: Rebound, SPV Platform Pressure, SPV Volume control.
Lubrication: Semi-bath / Evil Genius seals
Spring: Titanium Coil
Casting: New Magnesium RA
Stanchions: 32mm Alluminium
Steerer: New 4130 steel
Color: Black

Attachments

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
firefly plus will be at least pound heavier, as the 2004 firefly 20mm is about 5.4lbs, the steel steerer on the 2005s will add some weight (in other words, I do not believe that claimed weight for the firefly at all since the 2004s are heavier than that claimed number)...

SPV seems to be one big difference.

The nixon is a long travel XC fork. The Firefly is a trail/freeride fork.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Jm. said:
firefly plus will be at least pound heavier, as the 2004 firefly 20mm is about 5.4lbs, the steel steerer on the 2005s will add some weight (in other words, I do not believe that claimed weight for the firefly at all since the 2004s are heavier than that claimed number)...

SPV seems to be one big difference.

The nixon is a long travel XC fork. The Firefly is a trail/freeride fork.
The Nixon is an air fork only while the Firefly is coil?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Nixon Platinum is an air fork; the Elite is coil.

WheelieMan said:
The Nixon is an air fork only while the Firefly is coil?
The Nixon Elite is a coil sprung fork, as I indicated in my above post.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Where did you get this info?

That Nixon Elite would be quite interesting. It seems like it's a full coil fork with the old TPC damping which was pretty nice. I wonder if the spring rate changes with the travel adjustment.

MARider said:
The Nixon Elite is a coil sprung fork, as I indicated in my above post.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is just what I thought.

BanzaiRider said:
That Nixon Elite would be quite interesting. It seems like it's a full coil fork with the old TPC damping which was pretty nice. I wonder if the spring rate changes with the travel adjustment.
I have been obsessing over a new fork choice and heard a rumor through my LBS that of the 5 Nixon models, at least 2 might be coil. (The main reason I was hesitant about getting a Nixon was I prefer coil) I have been trying to research this and dug up what looks like an early press release regarding the coil sprung Nixon model called the Elite. This is exactly what I am looking for. Until reading this, I assumed all 5 models would be air. Very good news to me. Lighter than a Z150, much shorter axle to crown height, coil, through axle, TPC. Just hope it is true.

Here is the link:

http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12567

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
good info!

I am interested in the Nixon for my FS rig, but thought it was only an air-sprung fork, which made me ignore it... air springs failed in the back country mean a LOOOOOONG walk/push home.

a fork with 6" travel that has axle-to-crown about the same as a 2003 or newer Marz Z1 5" fork would be noshin' good.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That is more and more interesting...

MARider, seems like your criterias are the same as mine!!! Thanks for the link, very good.

Two things I would can't wait to know.

-Does the spring rate adjust when you lower the travel like a Psylo. If it doesn't then this Nixon is no good for me. I want to be able to ride a plush fork at 145mm as well as 110mm.

- Second is the axle to crown length. Some say it's the same as the 2004 5 inch forks which would be in the 500-505mm range. Well, if it's not at least 520mm then the fork is not for me either. I'm looking at 140-150mm forks to slacken my head angle a bit much more than to get the 15-20mm of more travel. That is also why I want to have a spring rate that adjust so I can lower the travel on XC/Trail ride days and bring it way up for the more aggressive and downhill type days.

Well, for now, unfortunately the RockShox Pike is still on my list!!! It has all the criterias I'm looking for except the RockShox reputation. The Fox 36 is second on my list because it's an air fork and I would like a coil. The new Marzo AllMountain would be nice but just 130mm of travel. The Firefly has SPV so I'm not interested. The Nixon Elite could go number one on my list soon if the travel adjust and AxleToCrown are ok, I would feel more comfortable with a Manitou then a RockShox.

Thanks again for all this info.

MARider said:
I have been obsessing over a new fork choice and heard a rumor through my LBS that of the 5 Nixon models, at least 2 might be coil. (The main reason I was hesitant about getting a Nixon was I prefer coil) I have been trying to research this and dug up what looks like an early press release regarding the coil sprung Nixon model called the Elite. This is exactly what I am looking for. Until reading this, I assumed all 5 models would be air. Very good news to me. Lighter than a Z150, much shorter axle to crown height, coil, through axle, TPC. Just hope it is true.

Here is the link:

http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12567

·
Registered
896 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
MARider, seems like your criterias are the same as mine!!! Thanks for the link, very good.

Two things I would can't wait to know.

-Does the spring rate adjust when you lower the travel like a Psylo. If it doesn't then this Nixon is no good for me. I want to be able to ride a plush fork at 145mm as well as 110mm.

- Second is the axle to crown length. Some say it's the same as the 2004 5 inch forks which would be in the 500-505mm range. Well, if it's not at least 520mm then the fork is not for me either. I'm looking at 140-150mm forks to slacken my head angle a bit much more than to get the 15-20mm of more travel. That is also why I want to have a spring rate that adjust so I can lower the travel on XC/Trail ride days and bring it way up for the more aggressive and downhill type days.

Well, for now, unfortunately the RockShox Pike is still on my list!!! It has all the criterias I'm looking for except the RockShox reputation. The Fox 36 is second on my list because it's an air fork and I would like a coil. The new Marzo AllMountain would be nice but just 130mm of travel. The Firefly has SPV so I'm not interested. The Nixon Elite could go number one on my list soon if the travel adjust and AxleToCrown are ok, I would feel more comfortable with a Manitou then a RockShox.

Thanks again for all this info.
Well I would assume that the nixon platinum's spring rate will adjust along with the travel, because what good would infinite travel adjust do, if the fork was only rideable in the full travel setting?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
The spring rate should not change on the Nixon Elite, at least not more than necessary for the shorter travel settings to remain useful. TPC is position sensitive, though not like SPV by any means, and the RTWD on my Minute One works quite well. That is to say, the fork still "feels" best at the long travel setting, but does not simply stiffen in the shorter settings as with previous forks - the 100 mm setting is just as useable as the 130 mm setting, as is anything in between.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts