Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. Im new but I joined these forums to ask a question. I have been wanting to build up a dh/fr bike for a while now. I was thinking of getting a used stinky or something. but my main question is, I got a 2006 Manitou dh/fr fork. but I've heard of people snapping these or brakeing them. I've been riding for some time now. the fork would see some abuse, possibly whistler in june. but i dont do crazy large hucks. drops no bigger than 6 feet to transition. would this fork hold up? its 170mm of travel with a really soft spring inside. i might get a medium spring if you guys/gals think it can take the abuse. so, can it take some abuse ? I've seen snapped ones before. but that might have been because of rider error?

here is a picture of it.

·
Professional Troll
2,774 Posts
A lot of people do 6ft+ with hardtails and 80mm forks. So it'll definetley be enough for that. the only problem manitou stances are the damper quality and seal qaulity. They don't feel good and then tend to leak a lot IME. But they don't really break per say

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gemini2k05 said:
A lot of people do 6ft+ with hardtails and 80mm forks. So it'll definetley be enough for that. the only problem manitou stances are the damper quality and seal qaulity. They don't feel good and then tend to leak a lot IME. But they don't really break per say
yea, mine is fluid flow dampening. I personally think it feels awesome. but I was thinking of calling manitou, and getting the 07 internals.

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
I have the same fork and run it on a hardtail and I am doing 8'+ drops to little trasitions and it seems to be holding up "ok", but I only weigh 150. I will be trading up for a marzo soon though..... bcz its a QR (how retarded is an 170mm fork with a QR?)

What do you have against manitou Shiver Me Timbers? in every thread where they are mentioned you bash'em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hallo! I also looking for some informacion about Manitou stance fork. I got now big hit2 07 in order(waithing for bike to come in store), with RS domain 318 fork on.Im desiding bethwin this 2 forks now.Any help is welcome.
Be well.

·
Professional Troll
2,774 Posts
i had a 80mm stance on my hardtail, theres nothing really to break on it, 6-7ft drops to tranny and flat all day and it still worked, it just always felt like ****. if your gonna be running on any kind of rough terrain (rocks and such) you'd better invest in some new wrists

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FR dragon rider said:
Hallo! I also looking for some informacion about Manitou stance fork. I got now big hit2 07 in order(waithing for bike to come in store), with RS domain 318 fork on.Im desiding bethwin this 2 forks now.Any help is welcome.
Be well.
the domain is a nicer fork, but has less external adjustability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont think my kingpin will hurt my wrists too much. because of the stauntions the fork is super smooth also it has very light springs in it, so the fork is very soft. but I'm 160 pounds, and I am getting about 35% sag.

I just want to make sure its not going to snap. I called manitou, I can upgrade to 2007 (TPC+) internals for 50 bucks. just as long as no one thinks it will snap. I might have a chance at a better fork in the future. but for now, I just want to know if this will work.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
my kingpin is pretty similar. it is also really soft. yea, there are some snapped ones out there, from what I heard, the ones that snapped had x firm springs or something like that in them. just something I heard, probably people just being stupid and wanting a super stiff DH fork :rolleyes: but with the proper sag, there isnt going to be as much stress on the fork. as long as you arent riding the fork bender style it should be fine. I've been riding mine for quite some time, it got replaced by a shiver, but I'm telling you...shiver was such a pain compaired to the kingpin. the king is a simple fork, same with things like a super t, boxxer, travis.

G

·
Structure wise you will be fine doing 6 foot drops. The only thing I would be worried about is the seals. Upgading to TPC will be money well spent if you do it.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
deviant1 said:
yea, mine is fluid flow dampening. I personally think it feels awesome. but I was thinking of calling manitou, and getting the 07 internals.
No, you're not going to break that fork. Do you even keep that thought in the back of your mind.

I was not even aware that there was a Fluid Flow damper for that fork. Are you sure it's not TPC+? As far as I know, the Kingpins have always come with TPC+, OEM and aftermarket models. Pull out the damper on the top right leg to verify. It should have two shim stacks/piston deals, one fixed and one on the very end that floats on a spring. If not, well then I learned something new, and you should definately upgrade the damper.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
mattsavage said:
No, you're not going to break that fork. Do you even keep that thought in the back of your mind.

I was not even aware that there was a Fluid Flow damper for that fork. Are you sure it's not TPC+? As far as I know, the Kingpins have always come with TPC+, OEM and aftermarket models. Pull out the damper on the top right leg to verify. It should have two shim stacks/piston deals, one fixed and one on the very end that floats on a spring. If not, well then I learned something new, and you should definately upgrade the damper.
nope, the 06 stances were FFD only I think. I'm talking with manitou about TPC+ internals as well. also I think the 05 stances had a fluid flow model, but mine was TPC+

·
Professional Troll
2,774 Posts
i got an 80mm sherman jumper, just get new seals/wipers for it and you'll be "fine". Cuase the tpc stuff feels a bit better, but in general manitou seals are pretty bad. Im trying enduro seals, and my guess would be that would work on a stance as well as a sherman, just from having pulled apart both.

·
...abuse these forks.
270 Posts
the 05 model stance kingpin came stock on my bighit. i decided I would give it a shot even though id heard it was trash. it felt like a wet noodle. it wouldnt hold air more than 5 minutes it felt ok on 10+ feet but smaller stuff felt awful. one course with a 25 foot gap i broke the internals in less than two weeks

·
...abuse these forks.
270 Posts
manitou was quick to send me a new one which i promptly sold and got a 66rc which is sick. it might be alright to start on but you will soon want to upgrade. my advice would be to sell it while its still new and get a deal on a used marzocchi 66, 888, or if youre on a budget a Jr. T

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.