Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I bought my firts dual suspension bike, a Prophet 2. Haven't got it's feet dirty yet but I'm about to. I'm trying to make sense of the Manitou X3 rear suspension. There are no instructions on answerproducts.com for this specific shock. If somebody can tell me what the blue wheel is and what it does and which direction I should turn it that would help a lot. Also what is the silver dial? Lastly how do I go about it's initial setup? Thanks a lot.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
829 Posts
what he said

Dan Gerous said:
The blue wheel is the rebound adjustment, the red lever/knob is the SPV (platform) adjustment, the valve is to adjust the pressure/sag. Some info...
I also have one on the prophet ...I found that after the first ride i had to increase the Air as it seamed to losen up alot ....so maybe take your shock pump with you. I am really liking this shock on my prophet seams like a good match IMHO:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm new to rear shocks. I don't know which way to turn the blue rebound dial. What does the SPV and rebound dial do? How does it affect your riding? I don't understand how to adjust or when it's right for my riding style. Please explain. I have an F600 and just bought the Prophet and am totally confused by it. Thanks a lot.:confused:

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am no expert

But basically as I understand it .

Firstly set the "sag" this is the amount the shock compresses with you sat on the bike feet on the pedals... approximately 12/15mm is a good starting point. set the grey SPV leaver to the off or minus position first, add more or less air with the shock pump to the Schrader valve at the top of the shock to achieve the desired sag height.

The Blue dial controls suspension rebound speed (often called compression dampening) most people seam to set this by setting it fully "off" then rolling of a curb and noteing the speed of the rebound, or return of the suspension to normal ride position. you want it to return in one quick stroke and not to "bounce" but don't set it on the slow side or it will not react fast enough to multiple bumps. Keep rolling that curb and increase until it rebounds once.

The SPV leaver controls the amount of pedal "platform" or Firmness of the ride under load induced by rider pedaling action. As a hard tail rider you will probably like it full on going up the hills but full off is best when you descend.

I tend to leave mine on the second setting most of the time.

I am no expert i hope this gets you going in the right direction...

PS. enjoy your Prophet you have a great bike there:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Mzungo. If the SPV valve controls the amount of pedal platform then why would I adjust it when I descend? How does it affect the ride if you're not pedaling. Do you know which way to turn the blue rebound knob to turn it off? I am so confused by all of this and it doesn't seem there are any definitive answers. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
829 Posts
QUOTE=Marclan]Thank you Mzungo. If the SPV valve controls the amount of pedal platform then why would I adjust it when I descend? How does it affect the ride if you're not pedaling. Do you know which way to turn the blue rebound knob to turn it off? I am so confused by all of this and it doesn't seem there are any definitive answers. I appreciate your help.[/QUOTE]

The SPV valve gives a firmer ride, less absorbent of the bumps. When going fast down hill it is best turned off to get the true "plush" ride from the shock.

When pedaling hard going along the flat or up hill the SPV set to max will make the suspension feel firmer and reduce pedal induced bobbing of the suspension system.

The blue rebound knob should have a mark on the shock body close to it to mark the way to turn it.

To show what it does try turning it all the way in both directions and compressing the suspension. at the firmest, the shock will go hard and slowly rebound.

Remember to count the number of clicks of the wheel so you can return it back to the factory pre set position.

Suspension set up does seam to be very poorly documented by shock manufacturers, I suspect to avoid litigation in case of accidents due to incorrect settings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.