Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I bought a Dean hard tail from a friend of mine and just recently the forks started to leak oil. Was told they could not be rebuilt / repaired due to lack of parts for this older fork.

I am looking for a good fork, for not too much money as I cannot spend a ton of money on my bike right now. Would like to continue using the V brakes since I don't want to also buy new brakes. Any recommendations that you guys / gals may have would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Enduro probably makes a seal kit for the fork. As I recall the X-Vert was a 28.6 stanchion fork so any of the late 90s Manitou kits with 28.6 stanchions (like the Palmer, FS, etc) would likely share the same upper seals.

here, 9 seconds to find this

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id44.html

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, if it isn't the outer seals, can I still get all the parts to fix the fork if it needs a full overhaul / rebuild? Was told the parts are no longer available which is why I am looking for a recommendation for a replacement fork :)

Would love to keep the fork if they can be fixed at reasonable cost.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
CONoobie said:
Well, if it isn't the outer seals, can I still get all the parts to fix the fork if it needs a full overhaul / rebuild? Was told the parts are no longer available which is why I am looking for a recommendation for a replacement fork :)

Would love to keep the fork if they can be fixed at reasonable cost.
Where does this idea that old parts need replaced come from?
Parts only need replaced when they're broken or worn out. The wear parts in that fork (oil, seals, bushes) are common parts. If any mechanic tells you something can't be fixed because of it's age, then run the other way.

My Xverts are all 10 years old, some have only had oil replaced, others have been modded far beyond what manitou intended. None of them needed parts replaced as routine maintenance, none of them needed bushings replaced.

I have complete damper seal kits for an Xvert/black/SX etc for $NZ10. I've sold one. It's very rare for these forks to need anything.
Outer seals only have to cope with grease, there's nothing to leak out of those so they never get replaced either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.