Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are still a few good deals on '05 Nixon's to be had but some have the IT travel adjust. I had heard that there were widespread problems with '05 IT so should I be wary?

What I really want is fixed travel air with the TPC but I would be willing to give SPVE a shot (I can switch the TPC out of my Nixon Comp if I don't like it). I'm also looking to upgrade to 20mm in the process.

#1 Stay away from '05 IT?

#2 Can you dump the IT and just go "fixed air", and if so what is involved?

Thanks for any suggestions and opinions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Looks like you can do it. You just need a bunch of parts. Go to the '05 Nixon service guide, go down to page 29, and look at the picture of all the guts. You need to replace all the IT spring bits with the regular air ones.

·
Brooklyn Bike Rider
78 Posts
I had a similar problem. in an attempt to do the same to an 05 Nixon comp i found it was alot easier to sell it and purchased a new 06 Super....All air fork 4lbs. Ultimately i wanted a lighter fork with similar characteristics to TPC, cept with a platform. Changing air presssure with a pump for the type of riding is a definate plus. I can basically go as plush as a light spring and as stiff as an extra firm on this fork. Flexable and trail freindly.

To partially answer yer question im not definate about a complete upgrade. What i know is you cant go from a TPC fork to the IT (Nixon Platinum). i beleive its a different top cap threading completely. I would guess since the Nixon Super doesnt come with a IT switch it could be possible. 06 Nixon Super is just amazing and i hope this can help out some.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
OK, to completly hijack this thread, how's the Bottle Rocket? It might be my next bike, but I'm a little worried about it on longer rides. How do you ride it? Shuttle riding, or do you do AM sort of stuff on it? How do you think it would work as an AM bike?

·
Brooklyn Bike Rider
78 Posts
its about a month old right now...as of now the head angle might be a little too slack for AM use. But the shock and fork helps alot. Since getting the Nixon i am debating on an air shock as well to shave some weight...Its at about 36lbs right now. I havent hit any shuttle runs just yet...hopefully by april

Hardtails Are Better said:
OK, to completly hijack this thread, how's the Bottle Rocket? It might be my next bike, but I'm a little worried about it on longer rides. How do you ride it? Shuttle riding, or do you do AM sort of stuff on it? How do you think it would work as an AM bike?

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
#1 05 IT is fine, only a short run had issues.

#2 don't know, but I wouldn't doubt it. I know coil manitou's cannot be made into air, but you can retrofit coils into air forks. I'm pretty sure it can be made into a fixed travel air spring, I asked this question 2 years ago... Just forgot the straight answer. Email tech support.

SPVE is an awesome damper. I like it better than the straight TPC from that year. It's much more progressive. Ramps up making it feel like like it has a couple more inches of travel left.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
mattsavage said:
#1 05 IT is fine, only a short run had issues.

#2 don't know, but I wouldn't doubt it. I know coil manitou's cannot be made into air, but you can retrofit coils into air forks. I'm pretty sure it can be made into a fixed travel air spring, I asked this question 2 years ago... Just forgot the straight answer. Email tech support.

SPVE is an awesome damper. I like it better than the straight TPC from that year. It's much more progressive. Ramps up making it feel like like it has a couple more inches of travel left.
#1 +1 My Minute 3:00 IT has been fine for XC/trail riding. I personally wouldn't choose IT for an AM/FR fork though, prefer coil wind down if I can get it.

#2 - I agree if you want an air Nixon without the "risk" of IT, why not look for an '06 Super air?

SPVE - hm, yeah the volume adjust is nice, but I ended up Devolving my Minute, just too harsh at lower speeds, at higher speeds it was smooth though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.