Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used Travis Intrinsic DC 203mm fork with it's guts hanging out from the right side. Looking at the Manitou manual their is something missing from mine which I'm guessing is a cartridge. My question is what is missing and if possible a pic would be awesome. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
That look as if that is the cartridge, the intrinsic uses a tube within a tube damper , the 8mm threaded section is the rebound( it looks as if it is pushed in all the way) the top cap looks as if it is from a absolute dial, but the black cap (will ball bearing index ) looks right.The the IFP piston setup on intrinsic dampers is vacuum backed so setting it is super critical. PM me we can handle this I have some 203 Travis stuff just sitting around.Stanchions, bushings, lowers, IFP , dials, ETC

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can barely see the picture good enough so further investigation is that this is an air backed CID damper with the new updated absolute style dial. The Air backed compresson side looks to be broken away from the end cap, I have never even heard of this let alone seen this and I have done hundreds of these Travis'. You will need a new one as well as have the damper rebuilt by someone who knows how to set the IFP with a speacial tool (me or HB) . Easy to do , I dont have a cost but could guess real good at 75-100$ maybe slightly less.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shorter damper has sealing rings on each piston but their was no chamber for them to go into. The short damper has pulled the threads out of the cap which makes no sense because it was obviously doing nothing but dangling off the cap. :cool:

Since you have many of these can you post a picture of the guts?:confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is the compression side which should be able to go back in the tube which is shown in the pic. The threaded secton which is pushed all the way in the tube in the picture is the rebound side. The black cap should have a threaded section under the cap and the outside of the cap. The inner section is supposed to thread on the tube as the outside threads into the stanchion tube. This whole assembly is the tube within a tube damper.:thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DRAKETHOMAS said:
How can I post pics when I am at home drinking beer for the 4TH and the parts are at the shop............:confused:
You never said anything about "the shop" you said you have. :rolleyes:

Im drinking also so that wont work. :D

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MTBR does not spank you for being open on their forum for being a tech or having a suspension repair shop. :crazy: Do you have a web site??:confused:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
[ DRAKETHOMAS
mtbr member

Really
really , I will find the numerous posts where I was.:madmax: ]

No need for that I just have never seen MTBR :madmax: a person for being honest. HeII they let allot go through before steeping in to call a truce. :thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Not much makes sense in this thread.
What can you add all I want is a pic with good info. So far im communicating with and PM'ing a person that does over 5 million post a day. :cool:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
their=/=there=they're

Did you go to the Manitou site, by any chance?
:lol: your enjoying the their or however you want to spell it word. :thumbsup: Here in America we need many words to say the same thing, keeps foreigners questioning us :yikes:

Yes I have and it doesnt match what I have. :cool:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So with help from Shanan at Manitou and Mike a independent fork guru I was able to figure out what I have and how it assembles. I still need a cap since mine is damaged. :thumbsup:

The rebound damper was pushed into the cartridge held in by stickshon. It was as simple as pull the rebound damper down through the cartridge. The shorter damper is the compression and that threads into the center of the fork cap. The cartridge gets filled with fork fluid and that slips over the compression damper and also threads into the cap. :cornut:

Shanan sent a picture of the coil version which was very helpful. Mine is the air backed version which apparently was only made in limited quantities. :crazy:

CID_illustration.pdf (1061KB)

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
My highschool shop teacher used to say "if you ignore them long enough they will figure it out themselves"

Classic example.

·
Hardtail Freak
196 Posts
Do the spring-backed instrinsic dampers still require a vacuum when rebuilding those cartridges?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes as the IFP ia a sealed piston which needs to be set at the right depth to function right.If you just push it in the spring will compress and the IFP will be set to low.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts