Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently shopping for a 20 mm TA fork. It looks like the main contenders are the Manitou Minute/Tower and Rock Shox Rebas. I have read all the reviews and forums (MTBR and twentynineinches.com) that I could find on the Manitous, but would like to hear a few more impressions on them. I would be buying a 100mm travel version. I ride moderately aggressive XC. If anyone has experience with both the Reba and the Minute/Tower, I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was faced with the same dilema the week before last. I'm building a new bike and discovered that the steerer tube on my '08 Reba Race forks was cut too short to use with my new frame. I decided to convert my old bike into a SS and buy a new fork.

I went with a new Reba XX. I absolutely love the current setup and action of my Reba Race. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs, so I expect a lot out of my forks. Though the Manitou is cheaper, with not a whole lot of information out there, either good or bad on the Manitou, I went with what I knew (dual air Reba).

If you do go with the Tower, be sure to post up your impression of them.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Towers are real nice. I have two, one on my SS, and one on my full squish. Far more impressed by the Manitou than the Rock Shox Race.

I like that the Manitou has a coi,l and air assist. I like that you can play with different coils, to tune the fork, as well as have the air chamber. Coils are offered in soft, standard, firm, and extra firm. I have a firm in my full squish, and an extra firm in my SS for standing climbs.

I find it to be stiffer, and more plush than my Reba. Getting ready to send the Reba to Push, so see if it can be improved. That being said, I am a big rider as well at 250lbs, and would now purchase the Manitou's over the RS Reba any day.

I find the new Manitou's to be a great fork, and often over looked. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hmmm... wish I had talked to you about it week before last :)

I found that it took a bit of trial and error and ignoring the RS instructions to get my air pressures set right, but now that I've found where I like them set, they work fantastically.

I also make sure to keep the fork uppers remorsely clean and lubed with teflon lube to ensure the seals don't fail.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Probably not a fair comparison, but I had a Reba in 100mm, a 2007 model. It had blown the seals and it was very flexy when applying the front brake on my V1 RIP. Went with a Manitou MInute Absolute, much less flex, very happy with it, haven't blown any parts or wrecked in 2+ years of riding, but like the other poster, I do wipe the stanchion down after every ride.

One thing you won't get is warped lowers that are not in line with the axle axis, causing the tire to be closer to one side of the arch, like you do on some of the Reba's, in particular the 140's.

Would like to try a Marzocchi one of these days, maybe a 140mm or more, we will see. I know JeffJ really likes his a lot, but he's been through a few seal sets and had one cartridge go bad on him too. Knock on wood, but my Manitiou's have been without flaw.

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
I just got one of the Towers from aebike for supercheap. Unfortunately, it's with my bike, at home, six hours away from here. But I'll be sure to write up how it feels after next weekend (I should be able to get a couple rides in.)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have owned both. Reba was a qr9 tapered and minute TA. I like the Minute downhill better. Seems more linear, but easier to bottom. Reba felt more bottomless but small bumb seemed to be worse. Large hits were about the same.

Minute is awesomely stiff. Reba qr9 wasn't bad but definitely felt some flex, maxle would cure that.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
haven't riden the new Rebas yet, but had an old one and have the older Minute designated fork and would have to say after riding Reba's for the previous 4 years I really like the Minute, very stiff, light and I got mine for a steal. Only problem I have with mine is it has the old Absolute damper, not the PLUS. Right now if you're buying new it looks like they're both similar in price, when I got mine it wasn't even close to a comprasion with what I paid for the Minute.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have an 07 reba and an 07 minute w/ the abs+ upgrade. While I liked the Minute I prefer the reba because of the negative air spring adjustment. I recently sold my Dos Niner and chose to put the manitou on it to sell and keep the reba. The minute was stiffer, the lockout worked better but being a 200lb rider I like the ability to dial in the negative air spring plus my minute was an 80mm and I can't convert it to 100 like I can my reba.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
If I'm reading correctly, the posts above are referring to the old Reba, which was a POS fork not particularly relevant to the OP's question.

I have two minutes, one with abs plus, both with thru axle. For $300 it's a great value.

But when it was time last month to buy a 120 mm tapered steerer fork, after talking to various riders, and given my experiences with lyriks and a totem, for me the choice was clear: Reba Ti.

Ten foot snow storms lately, so haven't ridden it yet. :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. What ya'll have written back so far confirms what I have read in a few other threads: the Minute/Tower seem to be on par or maybe even preferred by some over the Reba. Being able to get the Minute or Tower for a good amount cheaper than a new Reba (or even a used Reba), makes me lean toward a Manitou. Thanks again for your responses.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If he can happen to find a deal like I did, then for sure there's no "I told you so" to be said. If he has to pay full price, then maybe, but it's also down to personal preference - I've really enjoyed my Minute on the Paradox and am trying to figure out what I'll use on the Prime, but with the amount of off center lowers for the 140mm Rebas, that sure doesn't give me any confidence in them, so then looking at the Marz or Manitou or maybe a WB 150 if I win the lottery.
jncarpenter said:
Buy the Manipoo so I can say "I told you so" ;)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As I said, no I have not, decided it wasn't worth it IMHO after I found the deal on the Minute. I read absolutely nothing on the new Rebas, other than they fixed the wet noodle feeling to make me feel the dampening was any improved over the previous and comparing the previous to the Minute I'm quite happy with the Minute.

jncarpenter said:
So Lynx, you've ridden the newer Reba?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.