Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 fox RP2 on my cannondale rush. I am satisfied with the way that it works.

I would like put a 650b front wheel on the bike, however I don't want to make it any slacker, in fact I would like the HTA to be slightly steeper. Other folks have had success with modifying the swing arm and using a longer shock in the same situation.

I am am pretty cheap and am considering a 2005 Manitou Swinger Air 4 Way because they are available for a low price and seem to have reasonable reviews. I have seen some talk about shim stack mods, but if the general idea is that I would need to do the mod to be happy with the shock it would be a deal breaker for me if it costs more than a few bucks.

Do you expect that I will find the performance and feel is at least as good as the RP2?

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
using a longer shock might steepen your head angle but it will also raise the bottom bracket.

Additionally you need to see if there is no frame interference because of the additional length or travel.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rush has a really low BB so raising it is another goal of making the changes. Others have done it and been happy with the results (see the bottom of this thread). There will be interference that can be dealt with by filing the swingarm.

I am really most concerned with whether the '05 manitou swinger is a good enough shock.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I had a 4 Way Air on my 5 Spot - it was a very nice shock, especially for the money. Can be tough to get the initial settings dialed in with the 2 air chambers, but it was way better than the Swinger 3 Way. Go for it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Manitou is not a bad shock

I had no problems with my swinger 3 way. You just need to dial in the sag. As it has been said, check the fitment for frame contact and you should be fine.

BTW, you will love the 650b, I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.