Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a lightly used Trek Liquid off of ebay that currently has a Fox Talus R air shock that is adjustable from 4-5 inches. Noticed that the more expensive/modern liquids used the manitou swinger 3 way non adjustable shocks. Found one of these fairly cheap on the net. Would the Swinger give me much better performance (any other rear shock suggestions are welcome)?

Thanks for the help!

Justin

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I had a Talas on my bike when I bought it and replace it for a 3way which felt way better. However my Talas was a Propedal version and I'm a light rider. From what you write it seems like you Talas is not a Propedal version so if I was you I'd try it out before buying the Swinger. After that, if you still want to change the Talas, I personally would look at the DHX or 4way then the 3way.

jbosma said:
Getting a lightly used Trek Liquid off of ebay that currently has a Fox Talus R air shock that is adjustable from 4-5 inches. Noticed that the more expensive/modern liquids used the manitou swinger 3 way non adjustable shocks. Found one of these fairly cheap on the net. Would the Swinger give me much better performance (any other rear shock suggestions are welcome)?

Thanks for the help!

Justin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I haven't received the bike yet, should be here on Friday. From looking at the pics of it I don't believe it has propedal and it does not have lockout.

The main reason I was interested in getting the 3 way right now is because I found one cheap on ebay that had been on a liquid 55, so I am fairly sure it would fit mine. Not really totally sure what dimensional requirements I would have to look for in a replacement shock? Maybe length and eye hole size? What would the advantage of a four way be and what size would I need?

Thanks for the help!

Justin

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
jbosma said:
I haven't received the bike yet, should be here on Friday. From looking at the pics of it I don't believe it has propedal and it does not have lockout.

The main reason I was interested in getting the 3 way right now is because I found one cheap on ebay that had been on a liquid 55, so I am fairly sure it would fit mine. Not really totally sure what dimensional requirements I would have to look for in a replacement shock? Maybe length and eye hole size? What would the advantage of a four way be and what size would I need?

Thanks for the help!

Justin
Justin, wait for the bike, you will be able to answer all your questions without taking any risks. When you get the bike, measure the precise distance from bottom to top eye of the shock. Then measure the shock shaft and you have your dimensional requirements. As far as I know the shocks with a piggy back reservoir (DHX or 4way) will offer you much more possibilities for tuning the ride to your taste then a small chamber shock like the 3way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help

Been riding a hardtail for a while, but am a total newbie to rear suspension bikes. I appreciate the help. Sounds like the four way might be the way to go if I want to upgrade.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Careful-Liquid rear shock is an odd size...

8-1/4" x 2" stroke. The Swinger 3-way greatly improves the ride of the Liquid IF YOU ALSO REPLACE THE REAR END WITH THE '05 REAR END WITH SEAT STAY PIVOTS. I put this in caps for a reason, as I have gone thru all the stages of rear ends and shocks. Jump over to the Trek page and you can get the full picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.